Use the Gallery block to display multiple photos together. The Gallery block contains individual Image blocks for each image and arranges them in an attractive way.
In this guide
To add the Gallery block, click the + Block Inserter icon and search for “gallery”. Select it to add the block to the post or page.
Using your keyboard, you can also type /gallery on a new line and press enter to quickly add a new Gallery block.
For more information, visit our detailed instructions on adding blocks.
When you add a Gallery block, you’re given two options: Upload and Select Images:
- Upload: Add new images from your computer to your website.
- Select Images: Choose from previously uploaded images in your Media, or choose from Google Photos, the Pexels Free Photos library, or Openverse.
If you have already created a gallery and wish to add more images to it, follow these steps:
- Select the Gallery block, either by using List View (as shown on the left) or by clicking on an individual image in the gallery and then clicking the Gallery block icon in the toolbar above the image (as shown on the right):
- Click the Add button in the toolbar above the Gallery block to add more images:
- Add your new images via one of the following options:
- Click Update or Save in the top right corner of the editor to save your changes.
When you click on the block, a toolbar of options will appear:
The Gallery block has the following options in its toolbar:
- Change the gallery to another block, including Image, Slideshow, Tiled Gallery, and other gallery formats.
- Align left, right, or center (and wide and full widths if supported by the theme.)
- Add: add more images
- More options
When you select a block, you will find additional block settings in the right sidebar. If you do not see the sidebar, you may need to click the Settings icon in the top-right corner to bring up the settings. This icon looks like a square with two uneven columns:
When you click on an image in the gallery, you will have selected an individual Image block inside the gallery. If you need to navigate back to the Gallery block settings, there are several ways to do so:
- Click on the white space between the images.
- Select the Gallery block using List View.
Galleryfrom the breadcrumbs at the bottom of the screen:
The Gallery block has the following settings:
You can choose the number of columns for your gallery.
You can select between one and eight columns. You can only select as many columns as you have images, so if you add four images, you’ll be given the option for a maximum of four columns. This number will increase as you add more images until you reach the maximum of eight.
Your images will automatically arrange themselves into the best configuration according to the number of columns you select. Try changing the number of columns to see what you like best.
You can select whether or not you’d like your gallery images to be cropped. This option is useful if you have images of varying sizes and shapes, but want them to appear all in the same size.
If the images in your gallery are different sizes, cropping the images will give the images a more uniform appearance, as shown below. If you do not wish to crop the images but still want the images to appear the same size, upload image files that already have the same size.
A gallery with cropped images:
A gallery without cropped images:
In the Gallery block settings, there are three options for linking the gallery, explained below. If the Image Gallery Carousel is enabled on your site, clicking on the gallery will open an interactive slideshow/ lightbox instead of using the link settings.
After disabling the carousel, you can set the following link behaviors on the Gallery block:
- Attachment Page: This will lead anyone who clicks on your image to your site’s attachment page. This is an informational page about your image, which includes the image, the caption, the image description, and a comment field.
- Media File: This loads the images in a full-screen carousel, which your visitors can go through one image at a time. View Media Settings to adjust the carousel settings.
- None (default): This makes your images unclickable, so they don’t link to anything at all.
Alternatively, you may wish to link individual images in the gallery to different pages. You can link an image by following these steps:
- Click on the image you wish to link.
- In the toolbar that appears, click the link icon (it looks like a link from a chain):
- Paste the URL you wish to link the image to, or use the search box to select a published page on your site.
- Press Enter on your keyboard to confirm the change.
For more on linking individual images, see our Image block guide.
The Gallery block also contains the following settings:
The images are added to the gallery in the order you originally selected them. You’ll notice a number next to each image when you select it. This number indicates what order the image will appear in your gallery:
You can reorder the gallery images after you have created the gallery. To do this, click on any gallery image and use the left/right arrows in the toolbar to swap the images:
Alternatively, you can click on an image and choose the drag option (the icon looks like six dots) from the toolbar to move your image:
To copy images, duplicate them, or remove an image, click on the three dots on the upper right of the toolbar and select the option you desire.
After adding images to your gallery, you can caption each image. Click an image in your gallery, and click the caption icon in the toolbar above the image. You can remove captions by clicking the icon again.
If you have written captions for images in the Media Library and then add the Gallery block, the Gallery block will show the captions you wrote. However, if you add captions to the images in the Media library after adding the Gallery block, those captions will not appear in the Gallery block. In that case, you can either type the captions manually on the Gallery block or remove and re-add the block so that it will use the captions from the Media library.