What happened to WP Admin/Dashboard link?

• I can access it in my browser history, but the link to it under the My Site menu is gone.

• Hi,
    I have the same issue. I’ve tried Google Chrome and IE 11 (resetting & cleared settings).
    The WP-admin panel is gone missing.
    I can access the wp-admin using the IOS app.
    Any suggestions how to fix it?

• you are lucky! a bunch of published posts and drafts have been deleted from my one

• Update:
    Iphone
    When I log in using the WP IOS app, I can see and access the wp-admin. If I go to “Visit blog” and wants to access “my website / bog” in the upper left corner, WP-admin link is missing.

IE11
    Cleared all settings an history. When I login to my blog I get to the wp-admin screen. <https://blog_name_here.wordpress.com/wp-admin/.

If I go to “My blog / website” in the upper left corner – the W – and the visits the blog, create a page or similar, I cannot access the wp-admin panel.

I have to go via the link …../wp-admin/.

Why is the shortcut, button, missing from my sidebar?

• Gone missing for me as well.

Some functions are quicker and more convenient via the wp-admin dashboard and I think there are some functions that aren’t availabel at all via the new dashboard.

So please bring back the link. Very inconvenient without it.

• Hi there! We recently removed the WP Admin link at http://wordpress.com/stats/, but it is still accessible directly. To access it add /wp-admin/ to the end of your blog address.

@federicapolegri – That’s a totally unrelated topic. Can you please open a new thread and add the tag modlook so we can follow up with you?

• Please bring the link back, it’s not as good without it :(

• I’m sorry for the trouble with the transition! It’s something I would like to help work through and I will do my best to make sure the top issues are seen. It would help a lot to know exactly which areas you’re missing the most from WP Admin so we can work to get those included in the new admin pages if possible.

• The new admin does not have direct access to such vital things as media library and comments. Changing the address in the address bar every time is really ridiculous and way too much extra effort.

• @andykirillov:

You can manage your comments from the notifications menu (it looks like a bell) in the upper-right corner of your screen, when you’re at WordPress.com.

As for your media library, this appears when you try adding media in your post/page editor.

Are there certain actions or workflows you’re unable to complete, with these methods? I’m happy to pass on specific feedback to our team. :)

• @chrisrudzki:

Thank you for answering!

The bell doesn’t give me access to all comments. Older ones are not there, plus comments on my site are mixed with my comments on other sites which is a mess.

What about managing media while not writing a post? Also, as it turned out not all images deleted from the media library within the post-writing are actually deleted and this can be solved only through getting into media library independently.

• Please, please bring back direct access to the media library. Frankly it makes no sense to me why you would deny people access to the library directly and make us go through posting. I need access to the library itself, for editing and organizing files and for working with the image widget. Very frustrating today.
    Also I would like access to the old WP Admin. It was so much easier, faster and more intuitive to work with – this new one is clunky and it takes way too much time!

• @garibaldiparents:

You should still be able to access the dashboard by adding /wp-admin/ to the end of your site URL.

Thanks both for sharing your feedback. We’re certainly working to improve the experience for all users, and your feedback helps.

• @chrisrudzki:

So basically it was easier for you to just cut out some part of code and tell everybody to always deal with the address bar (re-write the address by adding your domain name and wp-admin) or adding bookmarks to what should be available to users per se.

• @chrisrudzki:

Things that should have direct and old-style access even in new dashboard: Media Gallery, Comments, Comments I’ve Made. Actually the old dashboard let us do so many things easily like creating and editing categories and tags, having a more streamlined look and access to our posts (without a huge picture eating off screen space).

So If I were you I’d just give people a shortcut to switch between old and new at their will, not at yours. Let us enjoy the fresh look of the new admin for general purposes and switch to an old one for easy access to all the few tools that .com gives its users.

• A shortcut still exists for older accounts. That way, people who are used to those older methods still have access to them and people who have newer accounts can work within the newer admin pages which will continue to have features added. The sooner we can move to the new, the faster those will become what we get feedback about and what we can focus on observing and working on. Hearing what people miss most, and specifics about why, is a helpful part of that. What we can do as happiness engineers is record that and pass along feedback that has good context. For example, wanting to manage comments per-site and not see them all mixed together is a really good, specific feedback point. All of the missing pieces you mentioned are under consideration to be added, but it will take time and there are ways to manage things like adding media and managing comments through the notifications bar and the Add Media button in the editor while other areas are worked on. Reasons about why some areas are needed more than others put us in a good position to take more compelling feedback back to the teams working on the types of features you are talking about. Much of it is a matter of prioritization, and I that’s why I really like hearing specific feedback, with context, from a variety of different people if possible. I am sorry you are not happy with the transition right now. This is why the WP Admin link has not been removed from older accounts and also why we recommend a bookmark to WP Admin for people with newer accounts who do find they want access to that.

• One a side note — why have we (forum moderators) not been notified of these changes on the moderator P2? A user in the german forum reported similar problems and I had to research this over here to help him/her out.

A short note in case you remove/change/add features or similar actions that affect a lot of users would be very helpful and save a lot of research work.

Cheers
    Martin K. aka iqatrophie

• A notification is not made for every change. I’m sorry for the disruption and the best thing I can do is to be here to help support you when unexpected changes do come up.

• So, the wp-admin link has been kept for old accounts and removed from new? Huh? If the new interface can house a link for the old accounts, what’s the problem preventing it appearing in new accounts? Or is this a deliberate strategy to keep new users unaware of the old dashboard and eventually lose it?

I’ve been using WP before so am used to the old dashboard. But have a new account set up specifically for an amateur choir. I’ve had to resort to a bookmark. But when I’m away from my home computer and trying to put some work in on the website, I have to type the link. Not good.

There are lots of things that are a quicker in the old dashboard and some that aren’t even possible in the new.
    Old dashboard: list of posts or pages can be seen at a glance. New dashboard – scroll, scroll, scroll.
    No quick-edit in the new. eg if I’m adjusting taxonomy or publish status and date, sticky etc. I do all of these to keep the site up to date, highlight particular material, make sure future concert info appears in the right order.
    Can’t easily access media library and edit captions etc, upload several files that I’ll want later but not in the current post etc.
    Editing categories.
    Without going back and checking, I can’t remember the details, but there were some things to do with menus and maybe widgets that aren’t as quick or easy to get at in the new interface.

I think there’s more, but that will do for now.

Please can we have the wp-admin link back?
    And please can the new interface have these features added.
    Please can we have a compact view of posts and pages instead of having to scroll, scroll, scroll.
    (Can we sort eg by category in the new interface? Sorry, no time just now to check.)

• @auntyclare, thank you for the specifics. In your case, I’m sorry for the disruption and using a bookmark or typing /wp-admin are currently the only solutions for your case. Some of the things you mentioned will be added going forward and others I will make sure to add to our list of suggestions. It’s good to bring these up, and the context helps.

• The topic ‘What happened to WP Admin/Dashboard link?’ is closed to new replies.