Switching To Business Plan

• Hi, I’m considering to move my website from the current plan it’s on (I think Personal or Premium – I forgot, and didn’t check before making this post) to the Business plan so that I can utilize the extra storage limit it offers for my photography, and to try out some plugins maybe.

I am with the understanding that by making this change, it is essentially going to move my website to a self-hosted website status. I also understand that this disconnects the website from WordPress.com’s blogging “community”. I’m fine with that since I don’t really allow comments or the likes feature on my website.

I’m curious is there anything in the Support pages, or tips anyone can offer me for what to expect will happen with my website exactly when I make this switch?

Also besides installing a security plugin, is there anything else I should immediately install after switching that would be security related, and what is the best security plugin that you would recommend?

It may take me a couple of weeks or more to get ready for this change as I’m working on deleting content I no longer need, and copying other content to put back on the website. I plan to do a “start over” and wipe my website clean before switching to the Business plan, so I wanted to start asking questions ahead of time.

Thanks for help in advance.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Upgrading from a Personal or a Premium plan to a Business plan doesn’t move your site to a self-hosted one. It is still hosted right here at WordPress.com. What it does do is move your site from the shared environment with millions of other users to different servers where you can have the facility to add plugins if you wish. You shouldn’t need any extra security plugins as that will still be taken care of by WordPress.com.

• Hi @dtpiixart,

With a Business plan, your site is still on WordPress.com managed hosting.

A Business plan unlocks features, such as the ability to use third-party plugins and themes, and your site will still be part of the WordPress.com blogging community via Reader. The only thing that you would have to add back is a Follow Button.

Security plugins are not required, and you can learn how we secure your site here: https://wordpress.com/support/security/

If you are looking to empty your site, here’s how: https://wordpress.com/support/empty-site/

I hope that helps and please reach out again if you have any further questions.

• This is all good info to have. Thank you very much.

I’m not sure where I got the idea that the website would be disconnected from the wordpress blogging community in the reader, and I didn’t know that wordpress.com continues security for the website after switching to the Business plan. I also think I associated “self hosting” with the process I had to deal with many years ago with another company I had a website with long before I discovered wordpress.com (I’ve been here since 2014, but only have only gone as high as the Premium plan with any of my sites). “Managed hosting” isn’t a term I’m familiar with until now after reading up on the links that metabreakr provided.

It’s nice to know I won’t have to worry about security of my site (one of the biggest reasons I’ve been here so long) once I make the switch. I can just go on and wipe the site after I save content I want to keep first, and start with a new template.

I’ve been playing around with FSE and discovered I can create a pretty nice website layout just using simple Row, and Column blocks in the Blank Canvas template. Previously I was worried that the Colinear template, my favorite template I’ve used for years will be deprecated, and no longer usable with all the new development in WordPress. Now after seeing that I can replicate that template, and even make a better layout based off of it, I don’t even care about Colinear any more.

Again thanks for all the help and advice. I’ve got some work to do to now so that I can get these changes made.

• Glad I could help! If you’re looking to learn more about full site editing, I suggest checking out these links:

* https://wordpress.com/support/full-site-editing/
    * https://learn.wordpress.org/course/simple-site-design-with-full-site-editing/

• The topic ‘Switching To Business Plan’ is closed to new replies.