support page misdirection regarding managing categories and tags

• The Writing section of the Settings support page says:

Use the Writing settings to manage categories, tags, and other settings related to your site’s content. See our full guide to using the Writing settings.

Two problems regarding these statements:

1. Writing Settings, whether in the My Sites interface or in the WordPress.com interface, has no settings options that allow one to manage either categories or tags. The only exception to this is the ability to set the default post and link categories in the WP-Admin Writing Settings page.

2. The Writing Settings support page, which the second sentence links to, doesn’t provide information on how to manage categories or tags.

The only place in support pages that I’ve found instruction on how to manage categories is the Edit or Delete Categories section of the Categories support page. Similarly, the Tags support page includes instructions on how to manage tags in its Managing Tags in Site Settings and Adding and Managing Tags sections.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Related issues are the following:

1. In the My Sites interface there are no links to either the Manage Categories or Manage Tags pages at the Settings page, although each of them is a grandchild of the Settings page.

2. The parent page of each of them is the Taxonomies page, which is a dead end. If you go to the Taxonomies page, URL: https://wordpress.com/settings/taxonomies/, and you have more than one site in the account, then you are presented with the opportunity to choose one of the sites. However, regardless of which site is chosen, nothing happens, the page remains as it was before you made the selection. If one only has one site in the account, I’m not sure what happens at the Taxonomies page.

• Correction to item 1. and my previous post:

1. In the My Sites interface there are no links to either the Manage Categories or Manage Tags pages at the Settings page, although each of them is a grandchild of the Settings page, other than the Categories and Tags menu items under All Posts.

Further, at the top of the Settings support page we read:

The Settings area is where you will configure many functions of your site. You can access your site’s settings by going to My Site → Settings:

Yet here the link on the word “Settings,” which has the URL https://wordpress.com/settings, gets redirected to the General Settings page. So the page with the “settings” slug, the dad or grandad of all other settings pages itself is unreachable. I suggest that it might be more user-friendly to have a grandad Settings page that has prominent tabs or buttons near its center to the child page “General Settings” and the grandchild pages “Manage Categories” and “Manage Tags,” as well as to other settings pages such as “Performance Settings.”

• and “Writing Settings” and “Reading Settings,” etc.

• Hi, thanks a lot for the feedback on this.
    A lot is going on lately on WordPress.com, and there are still docs that have to be updated to reflect the newest changes. I’ll share your post with the team responsible,
    Thanks again!

• Thanks for reporting this. I updated the https://wordpress.com/support/settings/ page to remove the tag and category management info.

The taxonomies link issue remains.

• The topic ‘support page misdirection regarding managing categories and tags’ is closed to new replies.