Modify Robots.txt (Premium Plan)

• I am trying to update my robots.txt file. I tried with Filezilla but I cannot get it to connect (credentials are right). After researching that error I came across an article that says you cannot connect with FTP (Filezilla). I am stuck and am not sure which way to go as my searches keep taking me to dead ends. I do not have the business plan which will allow me to modify in plugins as plugins need the upgraded business plan.

I also had a site a long time ago and the plug ins were free? I can really use some help.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there @newparentagain – please let me know what you’re trying to do in the robots.txt file and we’ll see if there an alternative way to do it. :)

SFTP and access to robots.txt (manually or via a plugin) is available on the Business plan and above, but there are often other ways to accomplish things, so I look forward to hearing more about your end goal so we can see if there are any workarounds!

• Hello @kathrynwp ,

my answer is slightly embarrassing but it is my truth 🤣. I want to allow Chat-GPT to access my site.

• Hello @kathrynwp and thank you for taking the time to help me. I thought I sent a reply a moment ago but maybe it did not go through.

I would like to edit the file to allow Chat-GPT to access it.

• 3rd attempt : I respond but it is not showing in the post… So I apologize if it is showing all 3.

My goal is to allow Chat-GPT to access the website.

• Hi there, your reply got stuck in our moderation queue but I’ve cleared that so it now appears. Thanks for your patience!

I would like to edit the file to allow Chat-GPT to access it.

Sites on our Premium Plan (as well as Free and Personal sites) use our shared cloud hosting, so it is not possible to edit the robots.txt file on a per-account basis. We explain this here: https://wordpress.com/support/seo/#how-do-i-edit-my-robots-txt-file

You can upgrade your site to our Business or Commerce plan, which will allow you to edit your robots.txt file, as well as access your site source code via SFTP to add custom code, or install any plugin or theme “designed for WordPress.”

Once you are upgraded, we typically recommend a plugin to help you manage your robots.txt edits. You can see there are several to choose from here: https://wordpress.com/plugins?s=robots.txt

Also, if I can ask, can you tell us a bit more about how you are looking to integrate ChatGPT into your site? I’ve taken a look (nice blog by the way!) and I’m genuinely interested to know how you plan to add this to your site. :)

Also worth noting, we do include an AI Assistant tool in your Premium plan, which can help you with writing tasks. We talk about that more here:

https://wordpress.com/blog/2023/06/06/introducing-jetpack-ai-assistant/

Hope that helps. Please let us know if you have any more questions.

• Hey again. I really just want to use it for feedback. I am self trained and I’ve been exploring using it as a mentor of sorts, not necessarily just for writing and was going to see what else it could help me do and what is capable of. I also created a mini module about a father that can help answer questions sarcastically. My goal was to allow Chat-GPT to see it.

• The topic ‘Modify Robots.txt (Premium Plan)’ is closed to new replies.