Cookie banner won't go away :(

• @kikiorleans: Exactly what I said :P

There is a default banner for all WP.com website and this is also implemented on your websites.

To check that, disable the banner widget in your settings and open your website with a private session and you will see the default banner.

I tried to go on https://throughalaywomanslens.wordpress.com/ and I noticed that you have the banner but without any bug so I guess you already disable the pluging ;)

• Hello. Since yesterday, the banner coookies has disappeared from my blog. I entered as an administrator, I removed it and put the EU cookies banner widget and saved it. Nothing to do: it does not appear.

• @giuseppemerlino : Can you tell us on which blog you have this issue?

Because, normally you should have a banner no matter if you activate the banner widget or not.

• Because, normally you should have a banner no matter if you activate the banner widget or not.

And that’s the problem! Two Banners that interfere with each other.
    The next thing is: the annoying banner is in English. How can WP expect that all visitors / readers of our blogs throughout Europe have a perfect knowledge of English, to understand what they are reading?

• And that’s the problem! Two Banners that interfere with each other.

Yeah, this is the issue, banners are in conflict.

How can WP expect that all visitors / readers of our blogs throughout Europe have a perfect knowledge of English, to understand what they are reading?

I guess they wish to have at least a warning for all blogs and so they put the one by default in english (the common language even in Europe).

But, I can understand what you said because I have a French website and I wish to have a banner in French ;)

Anyway, I already reported that in this thread: https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/cookies-banner-issue-on-the-button-2-theme/#post-3114766

I hope we will get a fix soon.

• @kenwood31 Now the cookies banner appears, but to see it you have to scroll the whole page to the end! This is useless. Untill yesterday it was visible at the bottom as soon as the page opened. My Blog is this:

INTRODUZIONE

• I think this may be a new behavior affecting just some themes. Just set up a new site with the Sela theme at WP.com and you will run into the problem.

• In the German-Support-Forum a user postet this:

I found on WordPress after a long search an info that all blogs that are free and therefore have advertising the cookies banner since 25.05 are automatically contained and I have the suspicion that by doing so all of us have the widget also built in have blocked the delete. I would like to test this with other club members, but I would also appreciate any feedback from all of you here. But I do not take over a guarantee.

It works. But the problem remains that the WP banner is not in our language and also does not refer to our DSE.

• Hi there,

You can manually insert the widget and customize the displayed text to match your language. When you manually inserting the widget are you able to dismiss it or is it displayed everytime your reload the page?

• @fstat On my blog the banner cookie is fixed at the bottom of the page and does not scroll. When you go to any page or blog item, the banner can not be seen. Only those who scroll the page until the end see it. Thus it is completely useless.

INTRODUZIONE

• @giuseppemerlino: you are not alone with that problem, I do have exactly the same – the so called banner is fixed at the left corner, but only a text, no banner.

• @fstat: no, there isn’t any possibility to change that given english text, because there isn’t any possibility, to find this “banner”. It isn’t either in the dashboard or in the customizer.

It looks like a misunderstanding, because this banner is _no_ widget. I had to delete my Cookies & Consent Widget, because this predetermined WP-banner couldn’t be closed with that widget in the background.
    After I deleted the widget, the WP-banner mutated to a useless text at the left corner at the bottom of the page.

• And now, as I activated the Cookies & Consent Banner – this WP-text became a banner again. In english, with german text in the button. But it can’t be closed. Crazy.

• @fstat As already described here: If you install the widget, you have two banners. One from the widget, the other forced banner from WP in English. If you have installed the widget, you can click away this widget banner, but no longer the forced banner of WP. The forced banner is not completely GDPR compatible because it is in English (inappropriate for any blog in another language) and because it only refers to the WP cookie privacy, but not to the privacy policy of the blog.
    These two banners interfere with each other. Therefore, this is obviously not well done by the programmers.

• Hi folks, to be clear, in some instances these widgets are working fine. It does seem to be a problem on sites that have ads enabled.

As a temporary solution, if your site has ads on it, please remove the custom widget for the moment.

We will also be working on a better solution on our end.

• Adons on a free WP.com-Blog? Wich adons?

• Hi everyone,

I’ve been experiencing the same issue since May 25 (obviously) and I looked for a possible solution on this forum. After removing the widget, the problem seems to be solved on the home page, but it is still present on every other page of my blog (I checked, there are no widgets on those pages anymore).

Just hope that you people at WP.com can fix this annoying bug.

• Hey,

@kenwood31 So re: that “Attention: For GDPR compliance, please make sure your policy contains privacy information relating to WordAds” bit …

If I go to http://tugaleres.com/?p=16155 , it doesn’t say anything about WordAds.

I believe this is the problem. Looking for more information.

@supernovia
    : Thanks for your feedback. I didn’t write all the services names related to all of your services but I linked your cookies policy and I just added your privacy one because I forgot it :S

However, I don’t think this is the cause of the bug and after checking the bug is still there.

For the end:

Very easy to handle:
    Remove the second Cookie-Banner, released on 25.05.2018. Let the User use the Widget. If it will be required: set an alarm in the Dashboard that the Cookie-Banner has to be set. And also if required, set a fixed link to your privacy policy in addition to the possibility that the user can link to his own privacy policy.
    That’s it.

I really like this idea or also, just remove the widget and let the choice to people to change the default message directly in settings?

Let us know what you will do to fix it ;)

Thanks for your support.

• Not adons, actually, just ads. We’re narrowing down what’s wrong. Can you send a link to your affected site once more so we’ve got it handy?

• “As a temporary solution, if your site has ads on it, please remove the custom widget for the moment.”

When I do this another one appears, related to my theme (Hexa), totally out of standard, and with the same problem.

• The topic ‘Cookie banner won't go away :(’ is closed to new replies.