WordPress import and export

• I am a graduate student and I have been building a website as part of the the program I am in. I had every intention of keeping the website, even after graduation, but, the college is moving to google sites and suites in the Spring. There goes my site. I want to keep it. I have exported the site to a wordpress file and I have created a free wordpress account. However, the free account won’t allow me to install the all in one plugin for importing and exporting. I want t ok keep my site.

• Hi –

No worries, we’ll be glad to help.

There’s actually 2 versions of WordPress.

What we do here at WordPress.com is a managed hosting environment. The other version is the open source WordPress.org software.

WordPress.com vs. WordPress.org

Using our managed hosting environment would mean that you can import your site content with these instructions:

Import a Website

On our service, the business plan is required in order to add plugin functionality to the site. With that upgrade you could move the site with an all in one transfer WordPress plugin. The plan includes your hosting, 24/7 live chat support, and domain fee, and all the features listed at https://wordpress.com/pricing/

Now, on the open source WordPress.org software you can use plugins at no charge, but it’s much more hands on and you’ll need to provide your own hosting as well.

Write back with more questions!

• The topic ‘WordPress import and export’ is closed to new replies.