Can I remove the WordPress.com footer?

• Hi Everyone,

This question has probably been asked many of times, but how do you remove the WordPress footer?

Thanks kindly.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• I’m sorry but you can’t. Deleting or hiding the footer info would be considered a Terms of Service violation and could get your blog suspended.

• Thank you for your response. Is this the same if you buy a premium template?

• Yes paying for the theme doesn’t change the fact that the blog was designed by a specific theme designer and has a link to him or her, and that the blog is still being free hosted by WordPress.com. If all you want is to have a copyright notice then place it in a text widget at the bottom of your sidebar .

• Really? I have looked for this before and saw from this forum post that WordPress has said it is allowed.. https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/is-it-proper-to-remove-the-credits-of-a-css?replies=27

• I am using WordPress as a website, rather than a blog. I would like to be able to remove my “blog’s name” from the footer, as well as change “Blog at WordPress.com” to “Website at WordPress.com.” Any suggestions?

• @nashvilleliteracy: If I was you, I’d ask staff first. Maybe they mean “Blog” as a verb rather than as a noun.

Contact

• I guess I just don’t understand the worry about the footer – nobody much reads down to the bottom anyway – , Johnathan Turley one of the premier Constitutional Scholars in the US has his blog here, Domain Mapping and No Ads upgrade and he does not have a problem with the stock footer.

• Mr. Turley most likely doesn’t mind the stock footer because he’s actually using WordPress as a blog: http://jonathanturley.org/

As I am not, I would prefer it not be there. I realize this isn’t the biggest issue, but the bigger issue would be the ability to remove my own blog name from the footer. As it stands, it’s on a line of its own and looks out of place.

Again, I understand that the bottom part of the footer is not the focal point of the website. I’m just trying to find out if there is a way to make is look how I would like it to look.

• Since we all share the same Theme’s and their code I really doubt there is a way to change the footer because you would then change the footer on my site if I was using the same theme.

We can change the look but we can’t change the functionality of a Theme or the WordPress code. Changing the base text would be a change of functionality.

• @nashvilleliteracy

the bigger issue would be the ability to remove my own blog name from the footer.

We cannot even see the blog in question as the visibility is “private”. We do not even know which theme you are working with which apparently is displaying your blog name in the footer. That makes it a challenge to envision what you are aiming to achieve.

I’m just trying to find out if there is a way to make is look how I would like it to look.

Also note that you are splitting hairs when it comes to changing the footer links which as I stated above we cannot do without violating the ToS.

change “Blog at WordPress.com” to “Website at WordPress.com.”

Strictly speaking a blog is a website but let’s differentiate. The main difference between a blog structure and website structure is the communication style. Blogs are post based structures that provide for and encourage interactive communication. Websites are page based structures that operate as a one-way noticeboards.

The differences between the two are structure and all WordPress blogs can be either left in their conventional post based structure or restructured to become page based. Making the choice to create a page based structure has negative effects you may not be aware of.

Page structured blogs, particularly those with static front pages have a very difficult time:
    1. securing traffic;
    2. securing comments;
    3. securing backlinks;
    4. achieving authority in their niche;
    5. achieving Google PageRank.
    Read more here > http://onecoolsitebloggingtips.com/2010/05/12/better-blogging-at-wordpress-com-pages-and-posts/

So in order to help you we need more information:
    1. Which theme are you using please?
    2. Did your blog’s name appear in the footer as a function of the theme?
    3. Or did you edit the CSS and include it there?

• The 2007 reply is from the head of support. The 2011 reply says “we don’t allow” then “encourage [the site owners] not to hide” then “it’d be nice if we encouraged it” then back to “we don’t allow” again. Personally I won’t be convinced till I see it in the TOS.

• @timethief: The Theme I am using is Structure (http://theme.wordpress.com/themes/structure/), and the blog name appearing there is a function of the theme.

• Just a note – if you are trying to hide the host – you are using the free WordPress.COM address – so everyone knows it is a free site – want a bit of class – use domain mapping.

Me I use domain mapping and just send people to my web site and don’t really spend any OCD time worrying about the footer stuff other than I have added a copyright notice.

• @auxclass: I will be using domain mapping, when I am ready to make the site public.

• The current policy about the footer has been added to the support documentation for you:

May I remove the ‘Blog at WordPress.com’ credit in my site’s footer?
    Although the Custom Design Upgrade certainly grants you the capability to hide the credit from your site’s footer, you are not permitted to do so. Even our VIP bloggers are required to maintain the credit.

http://en.support.wordpress.com/custom-design/

• Thanks designsimply – that’s a clear answer!

• The topic ‘Can I remove the WordPress.com footer?’ is closed to new replies.