Will WordPress URL still work if I register to a new domain.

• I have a WordPress site url like XYZ.Wordpress.com and have several active QR codes on printed media pointing to the site. If I register a domain name eg http://www.XYZ.com will the QR codes still work

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hello there @murrcoole! Thank you for reaching out about this!

There are two ways that this is possible. In order to use a custom domain with a WordPress URL (for example, XYZ.Wordpress.com), you’ll first want to add a paid hosting plan to it if you want the custom domain to be the site’s final address.

You can achieve this, by registering a new domain, or connecting an existing domain that you registered elsewhere to that site. In essence, this domain, XYZ.com, will then point to the WordPress default URL, so entering XYZ.Wordpress.com immediately takes you to XYZ.com instead.

If you choose to only purchase the new domain, but without a paid hosting plan, then the reverse is true, meaning the domain XYZ.com will automatically point to XYZ.Wordpress.com so that XYZ.Wordpress.com is the final site address that persons see publicly, but the site can also be reached via XYZ.com.

The article linked below will help you with registering your new domain:

WP
    Domains » Register a New Domain
    4 min read
    On WordPress.com, you can register a domain (for example, yourgroovydomain.com) to use instead of your site’s default address (such as yourgroovysite.wordpress.com). This guide will show you how to register a new domain on WordPress.com. Search for a domain now View domain pricing How to Register a New Domain To register a new domain, follow these steps: If you don’t already ha

If you are ready to use a hosting plan on the site, you can compare our plans here:

https://wordpress.com/pricing/

In lieu of all this, in order to use your custom domain and have your QR codes continue to work, you can choose the option which best serves your long term goals. :)

I hope this has been helpful, but feel free to reach out if you have any further questions!

Reply to Will WordPress URL still work if I register to a new domain.