will not allow .jpg to be re-uploaded

• new to wordpress. so far, using it has been very complicated, even with the help of one seasoned user and another very computer-savvy friend.

as of this afternoon i had successfully uploaded a graphic for my custom header. by this evening, it was gone. i have tried half a dozen times to re-upload it, but all i get is a blank field and a little icon showing a broken link when i go to the page for cropping.

what happened while i wasn’t looking and why am i not being allowed to re-upload?

• What is the URL of your blog so that we can take a look? You’re username is not linked to a wordpress.com blog.

• sorry for the delay…i was back fighting the system, and losing. i am able to choose, crop and send the .jpg of my choice, but it just shows up as a black rectangle over the header section. also i notice no other pictures in the “recent readers” box are loading either.

url (if i understand correctly) is:

http://voices2go.wordpress.com/

any enlightenment appreciated.

• please excuse what must look like someone just jerking you around.

i looked in on my blog page just now and the .jpg i’ve been trying to upload is there and so are the other graphics. i do not know what made the difference.

could it have been a problem with my host (powweb) or the wordpress program itself?

please accept apologies for “crying wolf”, but i would still like to know what happened, so i can avoid this in the future.

at the very least, please tell me how to link my forum user name with my blog page. i checked my profile and thought i had filled in the proper information.

• It could have been a variety of issues. Just so you know, if you are talking about a blog on another host and not one one wordpress.com then you have to ask in the forums at http://wordpress.org/support/

If your problem is the blog here at wordpress.com, this is the place to be!

Trent

• thank you. my blog is indeed on wordpress. for reasons still unknown, the software would not allow us to set it up from my own website. i have also re-registered here in hopes of clearing up the other problem of not having a blog association when someone here checked and tried to help.

• went to make a new post and notice my custom header is gone again.

all attempts to re-upload do not complete and i get nothing to crop, just a white box with the little red x in the upper left corner.

what is going on here?

• …and now…

without my having done anything more, i am now getting a black box over the header section. the dashboard screens show my jpg, cropped as required, and indicates it has been uploaded. but when i go to the front page, the header is completely black.

why is this stuff changing seemingly at random?

• one hour later…and now the graphic is back in place.

i’m leaving this marked “unresolved” because i still do now know where the command is coming from to delete my blogpage elements (whether it’s my own computer or something else) and how to tell that something to keep its hands off!!!!!

• WordPress is fussy about re-uploading. It prefers to upload new files. I ran into this just yesterday: just open a copy of the image on your computer, change the name and save that. You can keep the original one under the original name or not, but UPLOAD the newly-named version. WP.com prefers that and becomes confused with two files with the same name, even if they’re identical.

As for the black box coming and going, it may have been something to do with the internet. There are a lot of outages, and headers always seem to be the last things to load.

• The topic ‘will not allow .jpg to be re-uploaded’ is closed to new replies.