Why are there not more themes that are suitable for photographers?

• Now… my title is not a complaint, I assure you, because I just love being here on WordPress.com. I’m using The Journalist 1.9, as this is one of the very few themes that are truly suitable for a photography blog, in my opinion.

Images can be reasonably large, and there’s a nice, subtle border round them, which is so necessary. If you don’t have a border, a very bright highlight area or a very dark shadow area near the edge of an image can blend in, to bad effec, with the theme background colour, depending whether that’s white or black.

I’m staying around on WordPress.com because my blog looks good enough as it is, there are no complications in set up, and I like the company, too. I don’t want to go self hosted with WordPress.org, for the reasons I’ve given, and because I already have my gallery site with a photo hosting company (zenfolio.com) that gives me a beautiful design, unlimited storage and ease of use, and lets me link my photos to my WordPress blog.

If only there were some themes that were really designed with photographers in mind. These would allow a very large size image, would have custom colours along the greyscale from white to black, and would have a subtle framing for images. Of course, it would still have the excellent WordPress.com admin set up and other features tha are already present.

If these types of themes were available, it could only be a plus for WordPress.com.

Thanks…

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• @andrew, if you take a look around and find some that you think would work well, suggest them in the themes forum (where you put this) and give the reasons why you would like to see it. With the “theme team” here, they are always looking for new themes that fill needs of bloggers here.

I agree, we need more photo themes with some advanced features one of which could be a lightbox/thickbox effect when an image is clicked on.

• With the new Gravatar Hovercards, could Lightbox-like image features be far behind? We can only keep our fingers crossed!

• Yeah, I was always a little puzzled why they had not added that as an opt in (some people don’t like them) eons ago.

• I’m just back again to answer you, Richard (thesacredpath).

It’s not any specific theme that I would want to suggest, but just that we could have more templates that were “photographer friendly”, in the ways I’ve mentioned above. For example,

The “good” here on WordPress.com is too good for me to leave and go elswhere, but the limitations in theme choice for displaying photos effectively are the “bad”. This is a plea, then that those who control what themes are available, will consider what I’ve written in this thread.

• Autfocus and Autofocus+ are wonderful photography themes – http://allancole.com/wordpress/themes/autofocus/ .

• Hi All. Guess what? We just launched a few photo-friendly themes that should bring some smiles to your faces. Check them out! Hope you all have a nice end to the year.

• The topic ‘Why are there not more themes that are suitable for photographers?’ is closed to new replies.