where is my homepage / archives?

• On the statistics page, under ‘Posts and Pages’ I often see a page appearing called ‘Home Page / Archives’ People click on it. Where is it hidden? I’d like to know, what is on it.

I am using a static home / front page and I use the menu for the appearance of my blog.

Thanks for your help

Amadeus W.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi,
    “Home page / Archives” stat doesn’t necessarily represent the number of views of a single page, although it might if your front page is a static page. The meaning of, and reason for, the designation was briefly addressed by staff member macmanx, shortly after WordPress evidently changed this stat from “Home page” to “Home page / Archives,” in an April 2012 topic titled “My stats.” macmanx said,

This is an intentional change. Date and category archive listings are actually counted the same as the Home Page when the home page is set to display posts.

Therefore, what you originally saw for your Home Page total was a collection of Home Page views and Archive views, which is why we changed the title to the much more accurate “Home Page / Archives”.

• Hi,
    oooops… not quite clear on your answer… let me say what I understood

“the home/archives page does not really exist?”

In my case, I just made a normal page my front page, and I made up my own post display page.

• “the home/archives page does not really exist?”

That’s correct. There is no “home/archives” page. It’s a statistical construct. However, the details of its construction in every attempt I’ve seen have been rather murky. Perhaps a staff member can explain it to you. You may add a “modlook” tag to the sidebar of this post to call for staff attention.

• Hmmmm… thanks. In other words:
    leave it alone and don’t worry about it?

• Amadeus,

I’m not trying to dissuade you from seeking an answer, but I don’t think it’s something to worry about.

Perhaps compose/composition are better words than construct/construction. If I understand macmanx’s explanation correctly, when the home page is set to display posts, “Home page/Archives” is a statistic composed of views to the home page plus views to date and category archives. In the My stats topic I previously quoted, macmanx says (emphasis added):

Date and category archive listings are actually counted the same as the Home Page when the home page is set to display posts.

The description tends to suggest that other types of archives pages, such as author, post tag, portfolio, portfolio project type and tag etc. archives might not be included. However, in the post that follows macmanx’s, staff member andy says:

Hi! I made this change. Thanks for noticing!

The “Home page” stats have always included “Archive” pages. There are several types of archive pages, including: category pages, tag pages, author pages.

The change was only a text change. There were no changes made to the actual counting of stats.

which includes a description that, by inference, suggests that “Home page/Archives” is composed of the views of the front page plus views of various archives pages, including some types of archives pages not mentioned by macmanx, possibly including all archives pages.

By including the condition “…when the home page is set to display posts,” macmanx’s description also tends to suggest, by inference, that in the case of the home or front page being a static page “Home page/Archives” would be the count of the views of the static front page only, though he doesn’t explicitly state this. The description by andy, on the other hand, doesn’t mention the type of page assigned as the front page (posts page or static page) as a factor in the composition of the “Home page/Archives” stat.

Regards,
    doc

• I should have included a link to the “My stats” topic again in the previous post. Here it is: My stats.

• The topic ‘where is my homepage / archives?’ is closed to new replies.