Using CSS to put buttons across page top (not sidebar) in Sapphire

• I am semi-HTML/CSS literate, and am ready to bang my head against the wall about this. I know it’s simple, and I can do it on pages I have built from ground up…BUT…here I am!

I know just enough to be dangerous, and hope I am giving enough detail. (If not just yell at me, it’s the only way to learn). I am VERY new to the widget idea and haven’t quite grasped how to use them the way I want to. Any help is VERY appreciated!

What I want to do is have page buttons horizontally across the top of my page, under the header, that are there on every page visited. Currently there are only 3 public pages, and I am using the widget that has them appearing in the sidebar. I will probably be adding 2-3 more when time permits.

I guess my question has two parts –

1. Is there a way to use CSS and the pages widget to display horizontally like I described? I am not worried about how the buttons look at this point (very basic now), because I can learn how to change them to look better. This way seems easier than option 2 for in the future, but option 2 would look sharper and would “match” better.

–Option #2

2. Would it be better for me to build some buttons in Photoshop and then put an <a href code around the image –and if so, how and where would I stick them in the CSS to do what I want to do?

I hope that makes sense, and I am sure this is something relatively simple…but I am going nuts because of it. As of now I have chunked everything but the (current) button borders and am starting over with advice…like I should have done in the first place.

Thanks in advance for any help, and please let me know if I have missed anything you’d need to be able to help.

• Oh, boy, the entire post links to the blog…so click anywhere I guess….:)

• The CSS upgrade will not add header buttons to themes that don’t have them as far as I know. That’s a functionality thing that is built right into the code, to which we don’t have access. I could be wrong, but if I am the switch won’t be an easy one to make.

• Which explains my headache, I guess. Thank you!

• You can position HTML elements (div, img, ul etc.) from a Widget with CSS and absolute positioning. I once built a fake header navigation from a widget for a blog.

• Doesn’t sound easy though.

• deltafoxtrot – can you explain that a bit more? I have been reading up on doing something like that for a couple days, but so far have failed pretty miserably in my attempts.

It’s probably so obvious, but I am not 100% on what I am doing, obviously :) -but how do I get a text widget (I assume?) to sit anywhere outside of the sidebar? When I began changing things I did it once by accident (or something close to what I want) but for the life of me don’t remember what it was and can’t seem to duplicate it…

Thanks!

• The topic ‘Using CSS to put buttons across page top (not sidebar) in Sapphire’ is closed to new replies.