Updating nameservers?

• Hello. I am trying to change the nameservers for my WordPress.com blog towards my webhost but under Settings > Domains there is no option for me to manage my domains like shown in your user guide?
    What do i need to do to do this, has this feature been disabled in the latest version of WordPress?

Many Thanks.

• It’s probably been disabled for the weekend. You might have to wait till Monday to get access to the nameservers back.

• Thankyou for your reply, at least now I now :)

• Have you purchased domain mapping? http://faq.wordpress.com/2006/11/10/domain-mapping/

And the nameservers part is not done here, it is done where your domain is hosted.

• If you are trying to redirect a URL that contains “wordpress.com” away from WordPress.com, be aware this is not possible. You CAN redirect URLs for which you purchased the domain upgrade, like blog.com instead of blog.wordpress.com.

• I think from another thread (https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic.php?id=29494&replies=4) that the OP is trying to do exactly that, rain. It appears he is no longer hosted here.

• Not to be ungrateful about ther serviced provided, but, in relaity, WordPress is advertised as a free blogging software. However, if you want to actually do anything worthwhile on it to create a well designed blog, you must purchase their extras. Not entirely free then is it?

• WordPress IS free blogging software. If you want the software, you just download it, as it seems you’ve already done.

WordPress.com hosting service is a different thing. As you know, hosting services generally aren’t free.

• I know, but I am hosting my blog in my own way externally from WordPress through a web hosting company.
    I have registered a domain externally from WordPress through a domain hostinc company and have linked my web hosting servers to this domain.
    Despite all my hosting being externally done from WordPress I am being told I must purchase new features for my WordPress blog to do anything worth while, like installing WordPress.org. (Without being able to change the name servers I cannot use Ftp to install WordPress.org with Filezilla).
    So even if all of your hosting is done externally, you must purchase extra features from WordPress to allow it all to link it together? Am I correct? Or mising whah people have told me.

• Hang on, hang on.

Nobody is telling you you MUST buy something new. That is totally not the case.

Why not just tell us the URL of your WP.com blog, the URL that you want to use your independent blog with? This is so much simpler when we can see specifics.

• Hi, of course. My wordpress blog URL is vopchange.wordpress.com and the URL I want to use externally is vop-say.co.cc.
    I have parked the URL to my wordpress blog URL and I have updated the nameservers wo the ones given by my web hosting company.
    This to me doesn’t sound like I am doing what your FAQ section about domain mapping advises me to do.
    So, am I doing this correctly or do I have to purchase the domain mapping facility with WordPress?

Thankyou.

• Like I said above, you CANNOT map a URL with “wordpress.com” in it to any external server. Do not purchase anything, because it won’t make any difference. You can’t do it.

If you’d purchased the domain upgrade in the past and gotten vop-say.co.cc mapped to your WP.com blog, then you could move vop-say.co.cc to point to a different server, no problem and all the links that had been made to that URL when it was mapped to WP.com would still work and when people put that URL in, it would go to your new server. But vopchange.wordpress.com would still be here, will still always point here.

If people buy the domain upgrade early in a blog’s life, it means that most if not all of the links to it will point to the new domain and thus be transferable if you ever move off WP.com. Since you didn’t do that, you don’t have that option. You have only one URL, not two, pointing to your WP.com blog and they do not let people redirect off WP.com.

My best suggestion, and it works pretty well, is to delete the CONTENTS of the WP.com blog (do not delete the blog itself, DO NOT DO IT!) once your new one is up and running, but set a static page to be your front page and on it put a note about your new URL and a big, prominent link to it.

• I’m not sure if I’m being clear, but the bottom line is: you can’t do what you want. It is not possible.

You can use your new URL on your independently-hosted blog. You cannot redirect away from your WP.com blog. Just set a static page and a note pointing to your new blog instead.

• I only wanted to do this so I could install WordPress.org properly rather than using th ‘Fantastico AutoInstaller’ so thta I could add the Chitika Eminimalls widget plugin because using the automatic WordPress installer you cannot seem to be able to do it, which is why I am going through all this trouble. Is there another way to add this widget?
    Or, would I be able to sort it all out if I created a completely new blog and imported all my posts etc. Would I be able to set it up in a different way so I could do as required.
    Sorry for repeatedly asking for your help, I am new to all the technical jargon of blog creating. My apologies.

• I’m afraid you’ve lost me.

If you want to host your OWN site, then you need a web host and a URL. That is WordPress.org’s software.

If you want WordPress.com to host your site, you do not use an installer at all.

If you want to commercialize your site, you’ll have to use your own web host and WordPress.org software. So I think you’re on the right path.

But you cannot direct people from the site you have at WordPress.com to your new site EXCEPT in the way I’ve told you, by using a static page and putting a message there, or by putting it in a text widget. There is no automatic redirect for a URL with “wordpress.com” in it, nor is there any upgrade you can purchase that will do it.

• Sorry for not being clear.

To summarise, to do what I need to do. I could create a new account within my webshot using the domain URL I crated (vop-say.co.cc). Then, I install the WordPress.org software onto a databse I will create for that particular domain.
    Then I can import my vop-change.wordpress.com posts and comments etc. to my new URL with the wordpress.org software installed on it.
    Is this correct?

Thankyou again thorughly for your time.

• Yes, that is correct. You can do that. It will have the new URL, but you can import all the contents from your blog here. Then you can set the static page here to point people to your new site.

• Thankyou for all your help. It is much appreciated.

• You’re welcome. I’m glad things are clearer now and you can get on with building your new site. Good luck with it.

• The topic ‘Updating nameservers?’ is closed to new replies.