Unresponsive page error – Chrome on Mac OS

• After years of stable working I’m finding a problem where WordPress hangs in Chrome when I try to edit my website – I get the ‘Unresponsive Page’ error message. I’m using a standard theme (Twenty Twenty Three) – no plugs ins, and only 3 simple pages. I’m running OSX Ventura on a fairly new iMac, and I’ve always been able to edit my site easily using Chrome. I have the latest version of Chrome, and I’ve cleared the cache and all cookies connected to WordPress. But as of 2 days ago I keep getting unresponsive page messages and can’t edit in Chrome. If I switch to Safari, it’s really slow to load but, once loaded, I can edit OK.

In other threads people have suggested:

• clearing cache and cookies – done that a few times and has made no difference
    • deleting unused themes, but as far as I can tell I don’t have any – I’ve only ever used WordPress themes and when I look on Themes under Appearance all I see is the WordPress theme library

Any ideas? Thx

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

Out of curiosity are you able to proceed if you use an Incognito Window in Chrome? You will need to sign in to your WordPress.com account (your login is not saved in this kind of window) but from there are you able to make edits?

Also can you tell us a bit more about the edits you are making? Does it affect specific pages or blog posts only? It it only an issue when editing templates in the site editor, but it works fine when editing individual pages?

Also, do you have an alternate device you can use like a smartphone, tablet, or different computer? If you log into your account via a different device are you able to make edits as usual?

Thanks for the additional info!

• Hi @staff-totoro. So, in answer to your questions:

The edit problem happens on all pages – I can log in, but whatever page I try to edit doesn’t fully load – it hangs halfway through on all individual pages and the site editor

Using an Incognito Widow it seems to work. I did have a problem initially that I edited a page, updated it, and then when I checked the live page it hadn’t saved. But, a few minutes later, the update was visible. I’ve never had that delay before – updates normally show immediately – but I guess better late than never.

I tried editing on my phone – it’s an odd interface to get used to but basic text edits seem to work.

• Since things are working through the incognito window this tells us that there’s an issue with the local set up. Here are some additional tips to work through and get that sorted:

WP
    How to Solve Common Browser Issues » Advanced Browser Troubleshooting
    6 min read
    After you’ve tried preliminary browser troubleshooting steps, this support page will help you provide us with more information to troubleshoot why your WordPress.com site may not be loading in your browser. Table of Contents TraceroutesTraceroutes in WindowsTraceroutes in Mac OS XTraceroutes in LinuxHTTP HeadersHTTP Headers in Mozilla FirefoxHTTP Headers in Google ChromeHTTP Headers in Safar

Check for any needed updates of the browser or extensions that you have in use. I’d also turn off all extensions for WordPress.com to rule those out as the culprit in addition to working through that guide.

• Thanks @staff-zinnia. The suggestion for extensions fixed it – I had DuckDuckGo running in Chrome to aid privacy and, although it’s never been a problem before, turning it off has fixed the problem. Everything is working and it’s back to normal speed.

• The topic ‘Unresponsive page error – Chrome on Mac OS’ is closed to new replies.