Transferring Google Domains – On Us

• Hi @margarett44

I just wanted to clarify that transferring a domain does not transfer the site. A domain is only the address of a website. The website itself is separate, and it ‘lives’ with your hosting service provider. Did you want to migrate your existing website to WordPress.com as well?

If yes, you can follow the instructions on this page to import an existing site to WordPress.com.

WP
    Import a Website
    2 min read
    No matter where your site is now, you can move it to WordPress.com. This page will help you choose a method to migrate your website to WordPress.com. If you know what kind of site you’d like to import, click the menu option to the right to jump to that section. Import a WordPress.org Site If you have a site with another WordPress host or a local development/staging WordPress site, you can

We’ll be happy to share specific guides with you once we know more about your existing website. Can you tell us where it was hosted?

Thanks!

• Hi. To be clear, is the “1 extra year of free domain registration” from the date of transfer to WP, or from the date of renewal? I.e. in google the next renewal date is June 2024, so if I transfer now in Nov 23, does WP give me free registration until Nov 2024 or until June 2025? Thx.

• Hi there,

The expiry date of the domain can’t be changed, that is set on the day the domain is first created. However to use your example, if a domain is set to expire in June 2024, and you transfer it in November 2023, it would still expire in June since transferring it does not change the existing (pre-transfer) expiry date.

I.e. in google the next renewal date is June 2024, so if I transfer now in Nov 23, does WP give me free registration until Nov 2024 or until June 2025? Thx.

Yes that’s exactly right. The expiry date will stay the same (June) but once the transfer wraps up on this end we add a year for free, which pushes the expiry to June 2025, and you would not need to renew until then.

Hope that helps. Please let us know if you have any more questions.

• Thanks! I’ve gone ahead and transferred two of my domains. All good!

• The topic ‘Transferring Google Domains – On Us’ is closed to new replies.