Transfer Domain

• Hi, I am going to purchase a business plan. I am currently using Godaddy for my domain, email and website. If I transfer my domain to wordpress. Will my godaddy emails transfer? If not, how much does wordpress emails cost, can I transfer all my email data if I keep the emails the same.

Will my website still work on godaddy until I want to launch my new wordpress email?

Do I have to transfer the domain when I purcahse the plan or can I wait and do it later?

WP.com: Yes
    Jetpack: No
    Correct account: Yes

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

Thank you for considering the Business plan on WordPress.com. When you transfer your domain to WordPress, your GoDaddy emails will not automatically transfer. You do have some options though.

1. You can choose to keep using your GoDaddy email service, but connect your website traffic (specifically non-email traffic to your site) to WordPress.com. This kind of “domain connection” will allow you to keep the domain with GoDaddy (as well as the email) while taking advantage of our WordPress-specific site hosting.
    2. You can switch to our Professional Email service. The pricing for email hosting on WordPress.com is $35 per user/inbox per year. If you decide to switch to WordPress.com email, you can migrate your existing email data to the new email service but it will help to know more about your GoDaddy email so we can look into this and confirm.

Will my website still work on godaddy until I want to launch my new wordpress email? Do I have to transfer the domain when I purcahse the plan or can I wait and do it later?

Your website will continue to work on GoDaddy until you are ready to launch your new website on WordPress.com. You do not have to transfer the domain immediately upon purchasing the plan, and instead we will set up your site on a private URL so you can get set up, or use our migrate plugin to bring over an exact copy.

WP
    Import a Website » Import using Move to WordPress.com
    3 min read
    Use the Move to WordPress.com plugin to migrate a self-hosted WordPress site to WordPress.com. Follow the steps in this guide to import your site (including your content, media, plugins, and theme) directly from your wp-admin dashboard. Prerequisites To follow the steps in this guide, you will need: Your source site: a WordPress site with any other hosting provider (referred to as a se

We recommend that you wait until the very end (when the site hosted on WordPress.com is completely ready to launch) in order to switch over your domain. We are happy to walk you through it when you arrive at that point to ensure a seamless transition.

If you have any further questions or need assistance with the domain transfer or email setup, feel free to ask!

• Hello, thank you for the insight and response.

Therefore it sounds like I should a domain connection to my Godaddy domain instead of a domain transfer. That way I keep the domain and its emails on godaddy and when my WordPress website is finished, I can launch the new site with the domain. Please let me know if this is correct.

Will using WordPress as only the website hosting, get rid fo any features associate with the website?

• Glad to help. Firstly I’d like to correct a mistake from above. The cost of WordPress.com Professional Email is $35/yr (I had mistakenly said “per month”) and we include a 3 month free trial so you are welcome to try it out! You can think of it as comparable to Google Workspace (Professional Gmail) but at less cost. I’m not sure if you are using the free GoDaddy email, but it would be more feature-rich than that.

That way I keep the domain and its emails on godaddy and when my WordPress website is finished, I can launch the new site with the domain. Please let me know if this is correct.

You have understood perfectly, we have a lot of site owners that do it this way and it causes zero issues. The only thing you will want to keep in mind is that you will need to continue to renew the domain at GoDaddy. We sometimes have site owners that forget this, or may be confused in thinking connecting their domain also links billing somehow.

Will using WordPress as only the website hosting, get rid fo any features associate with the website?

There is really nothing (in terms of hosting features and benefits) that you would lose by connecting your domain vs transferring it. It is mostly about what is convenient for your situation. The only thing you would be giving up is that we offer a free domain transfer with our annual (not monthly) billing option. Also worth noting that after the transfer we add an extra year for free, for a little more savings.

In your case that may be OK in the event that you prefer to continue with GoDaddy email. Regardless of which option you choose, we’re happy to walk you through the process when you are ready to launch your new WordPress.com site!

Hope this helps!

• The topic ‘Transfer Domain’ is closed to new replies.