theme with full screen random slideshow of my photos?

• i am looking for a theme for my site that is simply a full screen slideshow of my photos. Is there one available? i would like it to include the photo posts by tag name so i can set which posts to have in the slideshow. i would like it to cycle through all of the photo posts that i set to the tag name. any help would be appreciated. thank you

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi,

i am looking for a theme for my site that is simply a full screen slideshow of my photos. Is there one available?

I found none among the 18 free post slider themes, and just two among the 59 premium post slider themes, though a few others come close to fitting the specification.

The two are:

Others coming close include:

• Thank you for the themes you suggested. i looked through them and they did not seem to have what i am looking for. i switched to toujours today. it is better than the forever one i was using before.

toujours lets you keep paging down to see old posts and pics instead of having to click an older posts button. i really like the auto page down feature of toujours.

there is a slideshow available with toujours but it does not display the picture with the blog post. most of my posts are just the picture and that is all i want in the slideshow. It also says there is a limit of 8 for that slideshow. i want it to cycle through all of my pictures by the tag name i select.

i don’t want anyone to have to click anything once on my site to see the pictures. i wanted the slideshow to be active as soon as someone viewed the site and continue randomly, maybe not continuously, but at least one cycle through the pictures in that tag.

that’s my dream. thanks for your help in pointing out the themes that you found.

• You’re welcome. : -)

there is a slideshow available with toujours but it does not display the picture with the blog post.

I’m not sure what you mean. It looks like scaled versions of the file images used to create the images shown in the slider are displayed atop the posts in the Toujours demo.

It also says there is a limit of 8 for that slideshow.

Where did you find that information. I don’t find it in the Toujours theme guide.

i don’t want anyone to have to click anything once on my site to see the pictures. i wanted the slideshow to be active as soon as someone viewed the site and continue randomly

Did you notice that the slider in the Ladder theme changes automatically? There may be others that I missed. I suggest that you add a “modlook” tag to the sidebar of this topic call for staff attention if you wish to pursue this search here.

• thank you again. Toujours has almost everything i am looking for. the only additions or modifications i wanted with it are to have the slideshow display my pictures as close to full screen as possible. right now it does not display the pictures at all but you can see it cycling through the posts.

to set up the slideshow it said use the featured content section of the theme customization. once there you can select a tag name for the posts you want in the slideshow.

in the featured content section it says this – Easily feature all posts with the “featured” tag or a tag of your choice. Your theme supports up to 8 posts in its featured content area.

So i think that is saying the slideshow will cycle through 8 posts. i can see it do that but it does not display the picture in the post. i don’t know what i am doing wrong.

with a little adjustment Toujours is just what i am looking for.

• it looks like Toujours cycles through the latest 8 posts with the tag you select in featured content tab. i am looking for something that will randomly cycle through my pictures. maybe that is not possible since it would have to keep loading them.

but when you page down on the site it keeps loading more posts and pictures. i don’t understand why a slideshow cannot do that too, at least one time through the pictures with the tag you select.

it would be way cool if it is possible. i love random slideshows of pictures and watch them often. it would also be a good reason to upload more pics. it would also be a walk down old memory lane at random without having to page down through all the ones you have seen recently.

i sure would like to find out if it is possible. then my site would be simple and awesome at the same time.

• Hi there,

There is no way to add an automatic slideshow of all pictures on your site, no.

The post slider is a special feature of some themes that only cycles through posts that have been set as featured. The number of posts vary between themes. To have images show in that slider, you need to assign featured images of the correct size to those posts. For your theme the recommended size is 1160 pixels wide by at least 665 pixels tall.

The feature where new posts automatically load when you scroll down is something completely different. That’s called infinite scroll and is built into how WordPress.com works. All your new posts are added to an RSS feed, and that’s what appears on your site’s front page. All infinite scroll does is load the next post in the feed.

Images don’t have a feed. Images are just static files stored in the media library which can be pulled into a post, page or widget by referencing the media library link for that image.

The only way to have a slideshow of images on your site is to manually create an image gallery, add the images to that gallery, and set the gallery to the slideshow setting. Then you can add that slideshow to your site’s sidebar using the gallery widget.

Gallery Widget

I’d advise against adding all images on your site, though. Adding too many images to the gallery will cause your site to load very slowly, or even crash on slower connections, as all those images need to be loaded in the browser of anyone visiting your site.

• Thank you very much for that explanation. that saves me a lot of time searching and trying things and you answered all my questions.

i still wish there was a way to do a full screen slideshow on the internet like i do with my pictures on my pc. to me it is very enjoyable to let pictures randomly display out of order or time sequence.

i figured once the images were loaded to the site there might be some way to let them cycle through in a slideshow. i guess that could be resource intensive. but if the refresh rate was like 20 seconds and then it displayed another picture, it should not be too intensive, i wouldn’t think.

again, thank you for the detailed explanation. i may experiment with a gallery at some point, but it does not sound like exactly what i had envisioned.

Thank you

• o, kind of like the video site that queues up a whole series of videos and loads and plays them one at a time. sometimes i will just let that play when it is music videos for an artist i searched for. I don’t know how long it keeps going but i know it can be a long time with many videos played one after another automatically.

• @ebyaniy,

i figured once the images were loaded to the site there might be some way to let them cycle through in a slideshow.

There is a way. See the Galleries and Slideshows support page. There is an demonstration of a slideshow near the bottom of the support page.

i guess that could be resource intensive. but if the refresh rate was like 20 seconds and then it displayed another picture, it should not be too intensive, i wouldn’t think.

The WordPress.com slideshow image transition rate is appears to be about 3 seconds.

i may experiment with a gallery at some point, but it does not sound like exactly what i had envisioned.

A WordPress.com slideshow doesn’t look like a gallery. It relies upon gallery images and uses gallery shortcode.

I don’t know how long it keeps going but i know it can be a long time with many videos played one after another automatically.

A WordPress.com slideshow will transition automatically and endlessly, unless it is stopped by the viewer, or the visitor leaves the page or post in which it is displayed.

• The slideshow image transition rate may vary depending upon the type of device used to view it, the internet speed of the device used to view it, the version and quality of the browser used, etc.

• i guess that could be resource intensive. but if the refresh rate was like 20 seconds and then it displayed another picture, it should not be too intensive

The problem is not resources, but bandwidth. Every image in the slideshow will need to download to the browser of the person viewing your page, so while it will not use up a lot of system resources on the computer (or on our servers, for that matter) it will use a lot of data.

There are image hosting sites, like Google Photos or Flickr that might be able to show slideshows of uplaoded images, but those sites are specificlly designed for this and has the necessary caching in place to load and display images that way. Blogging platforms just aren’t designed to do the same. You could consider creating an account with such a service and uploading your images there as well so you can enjoy them in this way. If you find a way to create such a slideshow on another service you can even link to it from your blog so your site’s visitors can also find it.

• The topic ‘theme with full screen random slideshow of my photos?’ is closed to new replies.