The entire format for placing photos has changed??

• The entire format of placing a photo into a posting has changed? And every photo now goes immediately to the top of the posting rather than where I’m trying to place it? Why this change – it doesn’t seem to work?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Oh good, so it’s not just me. Hopefully they revert this, and soon.

• It’s unlikely that it will go back to the old system. Wp.com staff are constantly updating and changing the platform. We will hope the bugs are small and worked out quickly. A short time ago inserting an image in the text editor was the same as the old way. But that is likely to change as the wp engineers work their magic behind the scenes.

• I found that uploading it as a new picture inserts it just fine, so the bug is only with using files in my media library. If the worst thing I have to do is upload a few images while they tinker with the kinks, I can live with that. I do wish there was some communication from the devs before these go live, though. This popped up right in the middle of my work.

Thanks for the quick reply!

• I really hate the “new” functionality. I don’t mind a change if it is an improvement, but the new media upload bites. The old one allowed me to manage everything from one place. Now I have to go to multiple places because the only option on upload is to insert into the post. I have to go elsewhere to add a featured image. Come on people, pull your heads out.

• No, as long as I’ve been here there have not been warnings. Hmm…maybe a couple of times, but there were no details given and they only lasted a few minutes.

• I don’t like it at all. Visually, it’s bad. I liked it more when I could edit and make adjustments in the middle of the screen – not in a small corner bottom right.

• It looks like it is an improvement to the gallery function.

• I agree – the add featured image process is far less efficient now. In fact its a right pain. I hope they fix it.

• I cannot add images with the new interface, it is displaying the following error:

“An error occurred in the upload. Please try again later.”

I hope you can correct this soon.

• The new method is far less efficient. My typical workflow is to “select featured image” and then insert into the post from there. Now I have to select, upload , save… then go to the media manager, insert, etc…

Perhaps the functionality is better in some ways for others but PLEASE add back the functionality to insert into post when initially selecting a featured image.

The “old” way worked very well for my workflow.

• Something strange is happening with the way that podcasts are being uploaded/served out with this new system. It used to be that when I shared a new podcast episode to Facebook, the thumbnail would be the art encoded in the podcast file. Under this new media library system, I can only choose a thumbnail from the jpegs on the web page–FB doesn’t see the podcast art at all.

• Regarding setting featured images from “Add Media”:

http://core.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/21776#comment:34

In the meantime, note that the edit screen has a “Featured Image” box containing a “Choose a Featured Image” button. There’s no need to leave the edit screen to set a featured image. If you don’t see this box, go to “Screen Options” and check “Featured Image”.

• duckandshed – would you mind starting a new thread for your podcasting issue so we can better help? Thanks!

• kathrynwp: No way I’m doing that. Just kidding. I’ll do it.

• I am still (1 day later) not able to upload images via the “Add Media” function. It appears to upload but then displays the error message:

“An error occurred in the upload. Please try again later.” Is anyone else out there having the same problem?

I have tried countless times over the past day, and it is still not working. Can you please suggest a solution?

• I’ve just spent about 1/2 hour uploading, editing and commenting on photos to add to my blog .. and then they all just disappeared! What a total waste of time! I was trying to upload them as a slideshow and turns out this is no longer an option. I’m all for new improvements, but I find this “new” uploading to be nothing but a huge disappointment!!

• I am not impressed with the photo upload and placement changes. Certainly less intuitive and user friendly. Also when a viewer clicks on any of my illustrations, now they get something akin to a slideshow, or flickr type format. I want them to be able to see the FULL size of the image. This new format constrains them all to the same size. Not pleased.

• The problem is fixed for me, thank you!

• The topic ‘The entire format for placing photos has changed??’ is closed to new replies.