Switch to Classic Editor

• My site doesn’t have ‘Switch to Classic Editor’ beneath the ‘Options’ line on the right side. The article says, if you don’t have this to contact Support–can you please help me? Thank you!

• Hi there,

you should now see the Classic Editor on your site, however, bear in mind that the Classic Editor will not be available in My Sites soon and, to access it, you will need to go to https://breathingshallowpoetry.wordpress.com/wp-admin/.

https://wordpress.com/support/replacing-the-older-wordpress-com-editor-with-the-wordpress-block-editor/

• I’m sorry, but I’m still unclear. I don’t see the “Classic Editor” on my site, nor do I see anything when I’m in “wp-admin” OR “My Sites” to direct me how to have the old Classic Editor. I must be missing something…

• Are you working on https://breathingshallowpoetry.wordpress.com/?

You’re already using the classic editor on that site. @fresatomica switched that for you yesterday, before she replied to you here.

• I see that now…and I really appreciate her switching it for me.

May I tell you what is really SAD? Yesterday I closed/cancelled/deleted a site for which I’d purchased an upgrade–and which I’d had high hopes for–because I was unable to get someone from WP to make the switch to the “old classic” for me.

During the “Chat”, as I was speaking to someone about the domain purchase, I specifically asked about having it switched for me–as I didn’t want the new BLOCK editor…and I was told I’d like it “once I got used to it”. I then emailed, asking for help…which I wasn’t given.

IF I choose to open another one–and pay for the upgrade–will there be someone more tuned in to my needs, who will do the “switch” for me? Or has such service now expired?

Please advise me at your convenience.

I’ve been a loyal WP blogger since 2011, and I’m a senior citizen with disabilities–so learning BLOCK is NOT going to happen.

Sincere thanks for your time.

• I’m afraid this won’t be possible because, as I mentioned earlier, the Classic Editor will be removed from the dashboard and the only way to use it would be from the older version of the dashboard, WP-admin.
    Here is how you would access it:
    https://breathingshallowpoetry.wordpress.com/wp-admin/.

I understand you do not want to use the Block Editor, but, let me just suggest trying the Classic Block. It allows you to use create your posts in the way you know well within the new editor.

To do that, when creating a post click on the + sign and type classic. Click on that and the block will be added. You can then add your content as usual:

https://wordpress.com/support/wordpress-editor/blocks/classic-block/

I hope that helps.

• @bienheron,

Yesterday I closed/cancelled/deleted a site for which I’d purchased an upgrade–and which I’d had high hopes for–because I was unable to get someone from WP to make the switch to the “old classic” for me.

What is the address (URL) of that site? Did you delete it?

• To Fresatomica:

The Classic Block is Nothing like the old style Classic–I did not find it easy to use at all ,..Blocks are blocks, they’re nothing like the old format.

And as far as your instruction to access the old Classic Editor from /wp-admin, as I already stated in my earlier note above–there was NOTHING I could see within wp-admin that offered the old option. I find this very confusing–perhaps your screen looks far different from mine.

I’m grateful you apparently were able to fix this new free blog.

But it’s a mystery why choosing the OLD CLASSIC appears to be impossible without specific directions as to WHERE at “wp-admin” a blogger should be able to SEE and ACCESS/APPLY the old format for Classic Editor (NOT Blocks).

I’m sorry to be such a pain.

To musicdot1:

Yes, I deleted it since I couldn’t get any assistance. It currently says “Parked”, when I checked to see if it was gone. The URL was secretstifledsoul.com

My apologies that I’m frustrated…not everyone’s able to manage new technology.

Sincere thanks for Everyone’s attention. I’ve always spoken so highly of WordPress…until the BLOCKS changed things.

Best wishes to All.

• Are you sure you can’t find the right page. Try:
    https://breathingshallowpoetry.wordpress.com/wp-admin/post-new.php?classic-editor
    When editing existing posts in wp admin (https://breathingshallowpoetry.wordpress.com/wp-admin/) there should be “classic editor” as an option below each title.

• I so appreciate you providing a SPECIFIC LINK–the FIRST link in your reply–as I did not received this information before.

Perhaps I will try opening yet another new blog–which will of course have the new Block format–and use that link to access the old classic editor style.

Thank you–wish me luck. I really don’t mean to be such a bother.

• To “the magic robot”:

I opened yet another “practice” blog–and the first link you gave me works like a charm, although it doesn’t make the old classic editor Permanent…apparently I’ll have to type in that link for each new post–but hey, that’s do-able.

Now, one more question: in the wp-admin, you say there should be “classic editor” as an option below Titles of Existing Posts I might want to edit. Does this apply only to published posts?–as I don’t see it below titles of drafts.

No rush on replying–I know I’m wearing you all out! Thanks in advance.

• @bienheron,

apparently I’ll have to type in that link for each new post–but hey, that’s do-able.

You can make a bookmark. I have a lot of WP-Admin pages bookmarked in various browsers: dashboard, stats, pages, posts, add new page, add new post, comments, widgets, menus, etc.

Does this apply only to published posts?–as I don’t see it below titles of drafts.

On sites where I have “Classic Editor” links under posts and pages in WP-Admin, they are present regardless of whether a post or page is published or a draft. However, my account is old, so I don’t know if you’ll obtain the same results.

Another thing is that I can remove those “Classic Editor” links on any site permanently in any site in my account by clicking the “Switch to Classic Editor” link in at the bottom of Settings in a post or page block editor once. After doing that, every edit link in WP-Admin goes to a WP-Admin editor; no links go to the block editor. That includes edit links on visible posts and pages as well. However, I don’t know if that modification is possible on a newer account.

• The modification I mentioned above is only “permanent” for as long as you don’t use the block editor. On sites on my accounts, switching one time to the block editor changes the default edit links in WP-Admin to links to the block editors, and adds the “Classic Editor” links. Then you can revert to classic editor links only by clicking the “Switch to Classic Editor” link on any block editor. So it’s possible to go back and forth between these two modes in a matter of seconds.

• Dear Musicdoc1,

A million thank you’s for reminding me to bookmark the link for Classic Editor, so I wouldn’t have to keep typing it. I appreciate your help so much!! Have a blessed week!!

• @bienheron,

Happy to help!

• The topic ‘Switch to Classic Editor’ is closed to new replies.