Suggested changes to the Image Settings and Image Block support pages

• Suggested changes to Image Settings support page

1. The Within Posts and Pages section of the Image Settings support page includes an illustrative image that shows “Link to” settings. These are not presently available in the image settings for the Image block. I’d recommend including the “Link to” options in the sidebar image settings, as they used to be, but if we don’t do that then the image should be updated.
    2. Missing from the same image is the “Replace image” button available in the image settings for that block.
    3. This same “Within Posts and Pages” section of the support page suggests that, of the 75 available blocks, only the Image Block has the image settings described and illustrated in the section.

Questions regarding item #3. above
    Why wouldn’t other blocks that allow the insertion of images have the same image settings options? Some of the other blocks in which images may be featured include the following: Classic, Cover, Media & Text, and any block that allows a background image (e.g. Hero).

Examples:

• For theMedia & Text block there are image settings available, but they’re not equivalent to those available in the Image block. Missing are the various Image dimensions settings, and under the Advanced settings the Title attribute field is absent.
    • The Classic Block, when used in Calypso, doesn’t have any sidebar image settings available within the block editor. Instead the only available image settings are those described in the Attachment Details section of the Image Settings support page, which are only available in the media library, not within the block editor.
    • The Cover block has various “Media” settings available in the sidebar, but not most of the image settings available with the Image block. The Dimensions option is evidently limited to entering the “Minimum height of cover,” and again the Title attribute field is absent from the Advanced settings.
    • The Paragraph block allows inline images, but as far as I can tell after brief testing the only image setting available is a width modulator, which when I tested it didn’t change the width of the inline image at all.

One thing common to each of these examples is the absence of “Link to” settings available in the sidebar Image settings. I know that the link icon available in the toolbar of some of them allows the image to be linked variously, but I think that including “Link to” settings to the sidebar would be a good idea, whether or not the link icon in the toolbar remains.

Suggested changes to the Image Block support page
    The Image Settings section of the Image Block support page provides a list of Image settings options that is incomplete, and the corresponding illustrative image is even more incomplete. The image doesn’t include the Image dimensions settings, the Replace image button, or the Advanced section which is opened by clicking a down caret. The options list includes the Replace image button, but not the Image dimensions settings or the Advanced section.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Awesome feedback.

However, the best place for this to go is to the WordPress.org open-source community as they are the ones who make decisions regarding Gutenberg and blocks.

Forum: https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/gutenberg/

Github repository: https://github.com/WordPress/gutenberg/issues

• @staff-ozmodiar,

Hi. Thanks for the advice and the links. I haven’t yet registered accounts at either of those, but I’ll consider doing so regarding the questions in item #3.

The other suggestions are simply to notify WordPress.com about differences between the options presently available in the sidebar Image settings of an Image block, and what two different support pages say, and indicate with images, that you’ll find there. So I’ve submitted the latter issues to the Forums Help site, with added a #docs tag, as suggested by a staff member there. The differences I point out may be due to recent WordPress.com updates that aren’t yet reflected in the relevant support pages.

• Thank you @musicdoc1! The team will check the issues you reported.

• The topic ‘Suggested changes to the Image Settings and Image Block support pages’ is closed to new replies.