Stats Classics: How to set?

• @johnjronline

Just following up regarding the share numbers. They may make a comeback in future iterations.

• @jeremeylduvall
    This a a very long thread that is very difficult to scroll and quickly locate any useful information about upcoming inclusions that we bloggers can expect to see in upcoming iterations of the new stats page.

Is it possible for Staff to provide a quick list of pending changes and inclusions that we can expect to see in in upcoming iterations of the new stats page right here in this thread please?

• Hello Jeremeylduvall,

Thank you for updating me about the Shares section, I hope that it returns, what about the Spam section next to it will it possibly return?

Thank you,
    -John Jr

• @jeremeylduvall
    Thanks very much for your response.

If you click on the individual bar graphs of the days at the top of the page, the corresponding stats for that day should be displayed under “Countries.”

It would be really useful to at least be able to hover over each bar to see which days actually had posts published, along with the name of that post… otherwise I need to click on each day and scroll to work out if I posted that day or not.
    An ‘All-time Top Views by Country’ would also be much appreciated.

Can you elaborate on what is missing from the current Country module shown here?

http://d.pr/i/1b33v

The yellow-orange-red colouring of the old map was much easier to see. In the new stats page, only the very bright green is easy to distinguish. The softer green/brown is too much like the grey of the map itself.

As explained above, if you click on an individual bar for a specific day, the stats will change to reflect the stats on that particular day.

Being able to scroll over the bars for some basic info was just a lot quicker than having to click day by day and scroll right down for each of the stats. Saved a lot of time…

One further thought… it would also be really helpful to be able to directly ‘sign out’ from ANY page that you’re working on/viewing. At the moment, if you’re looking at the Stats (or Reader) page, you have to click through on the little avatar in the top right to find somewhere to sign out from.

Cheers,
    Margot

• @jeremylduval

‘If you click on the individual bar graphs of the days at the top of the page, the corresponding stats for that day should be displayed under “Countries.” So, you could see the views per country by day or use the Weeks, Months, and Years selectors at the top of the page to change the data range.’

It would be useful, especially to those not attending these forums, if a small instruction to “Click on a individual ~ ~” were added above the graph. Few are likely to try that without a heads up.

• @timethief

Will do shortly in a new post to this thread. I’ll likely be closing the thread in favor of opening new threads with additional requests. This thread is indeed becoming a bit hard to follow.

@johnjronline

what about the Spam section next to it will it possibly return?

I’m curious how often you check that statistic. I haven’t heard any other users mention the spam section (perhaps they’re just checking the old stats page). Could you elaborate on why you find this stat useful? Alternatively, you can check your Akismet stats separately under the Dashboard section of wp-admin.

@gatherandgraze

It would be really useful to at least be able to hover over each bar to see which days actually had posts published, along with the name of that post… otherwise I need to click on each day and scroll to work out if I posted that day or not.

Being able to scroll over the bars for some basic info was just a lot quicker than having to click day by day and scroll right down for each of the stats. Saved a lot of time…

Interesting! That was a cool feature of the classic stats page. I’ll bring that back to our idea board for consideration in future designs.

The yellow-orange-red colouring of the old map was much easier to see. In the new stats page, only the very bright green is easy to distinguish. The softer green/brown is too much like the grey of the map itself.

Thanks! Will pass this along as well.

One further thought… it would also be really helpful to be able to directly ‘sign out’ from ANY page that you’re working on/viewing. At the moment, if you’re looking at the Stats (or Reader) page, you have to click through on the little avatar in the top right to find somewhere to sign out from.

We’re heard this from quite a few individuals. Definitely something we’re looking at!

@grahaminhats

It would be useful, especially to those not attending these forums, if a small instruction to “Click on a individual ~ ~” were added above the graph. Few are likely to try that without a heads up.

Interesting point! I’ll see what we can do.

• @jeremeylduvall

@timethief
    Will do shortly in a new post to this thread. I’ll likely be closing the thread in favor of opening new threads with additional requests. This thread is indeed becoming a bit hard to follow.

That’s great news!

I’m so happy to read that because I’m visually challenged. And, scrolling through so many entries to locate any useful information about upcoming inclusions that we bloggers can expect to see in upcoming iterations of the new stats page means I develop focusing issues and headaches.

Thanks. :)

• Well before this one is closed I’ll add in additional feedback, some mentioned before, some not.

– I still don’t understand why the entire bar on the left can’t be subsumed under a heading at the top allowing the stats boxes to be bigger. (As I’m assuming it is on mobile.) With the side margins already there, this is valuable real estate that could be use to adjust font sizes and the seemingly infinite scrolling even with everything hidden. Worpdress keeps talking about a unifying experience, take that one and spread it across the board, so that the spacing is less wasteful and provides better reading options on our screen.

– The smaller boxes, makes the font appear a lot smaller even though across the board it’s not – the smaller counts, however, are obnoxious (views, visitors, totals). You can no longer glance at the numbers you have to concentrate to find them and to read them.

– I’m not sure who said it, but I do use the spam stats or at least monitor them on a daily basis. It’s not easy to find them now unless you go to the old dashboard and then either from the stats page or from the comments section.

– And I am glad to see some changes – like posts today being moved down the page and the expansion of the graphs at the top (even if it’s now almost illegible because of how tiny the space is, see comment 1).

Thanks!

• I did check on mobile and that entire bar is hidden when you click on any of the pages.

Why isn’t it like this on the website? One size doesn’t fit all. At the very least WordPress could take the “Collapse Menu” option from the old /wp-admin page and apply it to these new pages. It adds a significant amount of space (noticeable in the right column when collapsed).

• Everyone –

I’m going to be closing this thread as it’s getting a bit long. This isn’t to say we don’t want your feedback; we definitely do! This thread is becoming hard to triage and difficult for users to follow along.

If you have additional feedback, please open a new forum thread for your individual issue. We’re happy to answer as many questions as we can and pass specific, actionable feedback along.

I’m going to post a summary list of what we’re currently aware of/working on, and I’ll continue to update this thread with some of the major bigger we make along the way.

@johnjronline

I realize I asked you for feedback on the spam stats. Since @geoffwhaley mentions the same stats, I’m going to pass this along for consideration.

@geoffwhaley

I still don’t understand why the entire bar on the left can’t be subsumed under a heading at the top allowing the stats boxes to be bigger. (As I’m assuming it is on mobile.) With the side margins already there, this is valuable real estate that could be use to adjust font sizes and the seemingly infinite scrolling even with everything hidden. Worpdress keeps talking about a unifying experience, take that one and spread it across the board, so that the spacing is less wasteful and provides better reading options on our screen.

Why isn’t it like this on the website? One size doesn’t fit all. At the very least WordPress could take the “Collapse Menu” option from the old /wp-admin page and apply it to these new pages. It adds a significant amount of space (noticeable in the right column when collapsed).

The smaller boxes, makes the font appear a lot smaller even though across the board it’s not – the smaller counts, however, are obnoxious (views, visitors, totals). You can no longer glance at the numbers you have to concentrate to find them and to read them.

Thanks for the feedback here. We’re continuing to experiment with different layouts and tweaks to the design.

I’m not sure who said it, but I do use the spam stats or at least monitor them on a daily basis. It’s not easy to find them now unless you go to the old dashboard and then either from the stats page or from the comments section.

Interesting! I’ll pass this missing stat along.

• Hi everyone! I wanted to post a condensed list of the major bits of feedback. Please note, this isn’t every single item – just the big ones. I’ll be keeping this thread updated as we continue to improve the new stats interface.

• When viewing the graph in years for a single site the bars do not appear for 2007 or 2008 when the site had views in those time periods.
    • Follower totals are no longer displayed (you need to manually add the WordPress.com and Email followers)
    • All-time stats aren’t available
    • Hovering over the bar graphs for the individual days doesn’t reveal any information (previously it showed you total views and if a post was published that day)
    • The new page requires more scrolling than the classic version to access various stats
    • The single column leaves some unused space on the left-hand side

If you have additional items that weren’t addressed in this thread and aren’t mentioned above, please open a new forum thread.

• Hi Everyone!

Just wanted to pass along two major changes that recently were pushed out:

1. We’ve enabled a two-column layout on the new stats page. This should help to reduce the amount of scrolling and make use of the available space.
    2. We’ve changed the color scheme on the Country stats to make them stand out a bit more. The color scheme should be identical to the previous stats page.

As always, if you have any feedback on these changes, please open a new thread!

• The topic ‘Stats Classics: How to set?’ is closed to new replies.