Social media buttons directed to specific images

• Hi, I have social media buttons enabled on my theme, but when people select the Pinterest button, it pins any image from my blog rather than the ones that are pins. Do I need to designate certain images as pins, and if so, how do I do this?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi @gramma2chance, do you want to disable the PinIt buttons that show up on any image? If so I think you can swap to unofficial buttons to get rid of that feature.

Add Social Share Buttons

On the other hand, if someone wants to pin a particular picture rather than the one you’ve selected, it might not be a bad idea to allow that.

• This is my question too! I have tried unofficial and official buttons and Pinterest just chooses my featured image. So any other suggestions for telling WordPress which image I want it to suggest?? Thank you.

• @everydaykindoflife,

Can you please include a link to your site, preferably to a specific post where you’re seeing this issue, and clarify exactly what you’re referring to?

Are you speaking of sharing a post on your site to Pinterest using the Pinterest sharing button, or of pinning individual images using the Pin It button that appears on images inside the post?

• Here’s a post

33 Ways to Rest Well with ME/CFS

I am talking about sharing a post on my site to Pinterest using the Pinterest sharing button. I hadn’t asked about your second option because I didn’t think I could have a Pin It button on my images – is that possible with a free WordPress account? And if so, could you explain how to do that.

Thank you!

• Thanks for the link. From what I can see, there’s just one image on your post – the featured one and this is the image that will get pinned if someone shares your post to Pinterest.

As for the Pin It buttons on images, they will appear automatically on all the images inside the post if you add the Pinterest sharing button.
    You can try it by adding some images to the body of your post.

Let us know if you need more help with that.

• Thank you! There is an image right at the bottom of the post I sent you – are you able to see it?
    I have added an image into the body of another post (I didn’t want to mess up the bullet points on the 33 ways to rest well post) but it is not showing a Pin it button. But I’m not sure what you mean by adding the Pinterest sharing button – is this the one I have at the bottom of all my posts (along with the other social media sharing buttons)? So what do I need to do to add a Pin it button? Can I add something into the HTML?
    Here’s the link to the post where I’ve added an image into the bulk of the post

A Messed up Fight-Flight-Freeze Response? How I made sense of my ME/CFS, and how my explanation may help you too.

Thank you

• Pinterest will always default to the post’s Featured Image when sharing the post itself, this is because the image is saved in the post’s og:image tag which is the same as what most social networks use when sharing.

As for displaying a Pin It button on all of your images, you’ll need to switch your sharing buttons to the Official Style: https://en.support.wordpress.com/sharing/#customizing-sharing-settings

• Thank you. I have changed the buttons to ‘official’ ones and now have a Pin it button on each image. Shame about Pinterest only using featured image when it shares the post itself as I have been using a featured image that is supposedly best for Facebook.

Thank you for your help.

• The topic ‘Social media buttons directed to specific images’ is closed to new replies.