Skype user id

• Hi. I have managed to add all the social icons I want to. I’m having problems with formatting the Skype I’d go work. I tried initially using the Skype test call using [skype:echo123?call] in the account url. I changed the Skype username to mine so it bacame [skype:myskypeusername?call]. The problem is my Skype account is new so my username has the prefix live: not the prefix Skype: that WordPress needs to get the account url to work.
    Am I doing something wrong or does anyone know a workaround as to how I can create a new Skype account to get the Skype prefix rather than the live prefix. Thanks

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there, I tested with skype:myskypeusername?call and that worked for me.

Do you have the Skype app installed on your computer or device, and is it configured, tested and working? What version of the application are you using?

I’m going to write this up as a bug or enhancement, but it would be great to know the above.

Also, where did you find out about the live: vs skype: for use with your account.

I need as much detail as possible for my report and so that our developers can reproduce and test things.

• Hi,
    Thinks it’s a bug with WordPress – perhaps no one realised that Skype don’t use the prefix Skype on user ID’s anymore.

Your Skype account will work as the prefix is Skype.

To confirm, yes Skype is installed on my devices, Skype for iPad/iPhone (version 8.25) with the latest app updates. Skype is configured correctly as I was able to use the Skype test call facility successfully as outlined in my earlier post.

Pic showing my new account with the live prefix https://brotherbrock.files.wordpress.com/2018/07/748fd0cf-ae5c-40b0-9862-1da67d763e7b.jpeg

To reproduce my situation create a new Skype account. On WordPress use the Skype test call facility as outlined in my earlier post and it will work. Change the Skype username on WordPress to your new Skype ID and the prefix is live: if you leave it as Skype: it will call someone but it won’t be you!

Lastly, will I be notified that the issue has been resolved/fixed? If so how will this happen.

From online Skype forum reply from Elaine to Glen P on 12 July 2017 (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/skype/forum/skype_accountms-skype_setupms/change-skype-id/963d4300-c901-44f2-953f-3e99a0285360)

Legacy (old) Skype account “names” or “nick-names” could not be changed prior to being transitioned to Microsoft accounts in September 2016, and neither can they be changed now. The only way to change how you are found on Skype is to create a new Microsoft account and a new e-mail address as part of the new account set-up process.

Tip: New Microsoft accounts, with the accompanying Skype accounts, are now identified by the live:[whatever text appears before the @ in an e-mail address]. Therefore, if my name is Jane Doe,
    My new Microsoft account e-mail address could be (email visible only to moderators and staff)
    My new Skype ID that people can use to send contact requests to me would be live:jane.doe

• I think it is just a change. I filed the ticket and will let the developers decide what to classify it. If MS is now using Live, then we need to make a change.

Thanks for the additional information.

• Yes, we will post back into this thread when we have updated the code to accept both.

• The topic ‘Skype user id’ is closed to new replies.