Size staying at 3GB despite deleting content

• Hi there –
    I hit the 3GB limit a couple of months ago. I laboriously deleted content and shrank photos to get back under it. At first it worked, and WordPress showed me back down to 96%. Then as I deleted more, it went back up to 100% and won’t come back down. Why is this happening?
    -David

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hello!

I will add a tag to this support request so that an Automattic employee can help you with this!

• Hi David,

I can see you’ve deleted a number of files and those currently in your Media Library are reasonable in size. I’ll ask our developers to look into this and will let you know what I have an update.

I’ll keep you posted!

• Thanks gemmacevans!

• Hi doffenberg,

We’ve recalculated your storage allowance based on the existing files in your Media Library are you still using 3GB — so the message you are seeing is correct.

While you deleted multiple images, it wasn’t enough to bring you far enough under the 3GB limit. I took a closer look at your Media Library and found several .mp4 files around 50MB each. Some of the older images are 2-3MB in size. If you want to upgrade to a paid plan for additional storage space, you will need to delete some of the larger files to make room for more.

Please bear in mind that deleting images will permanently remove them from your Media Library and they will no longer be displayed in your posts. Only delete images if you have a backup copy.

If you delete more files and still see the same message, just let me know.

• @gemmacevans

found several .mp4 files

which seems to indicate an upgrade of some kind, if I understand the support guide correctly? Just to clarify, when I tried to upload a video to one of my free plan test sites, I received an error message saying I needed to upgrade.

Regardless, @doffenberg it’s also possible to upload and embed images from external services like Cloudup, Mesh, etc. The only limitation is that you can’t use embedded images for featured images (at least I don’t think yet) or use them in a Gallery feature. This also means that you can upload those .mp4 files elsewhere on the web and then embed them.

Here’s more on embedding content: https://en.support.wordpress.com/category/embedding-content/

• Hi justjennifer,

Just to clarify, when I tried to upload a video to one of my free plan test sites, I received an error message saying I needed to upgrade.

Your test site is behaving as expected. The only way .mp4 files could have been uploaded in this instance is through one of our apps. However, we still recommend purchasing a plan for audio and video uploads as this app behaviour is likely to change in the future.

Also, thanks for your suggestion of embedding images :)

• Thanks for the clarifications, @gemmacevans!

• The topic ‘Size staying at 3GB despite deleting content’ is closed to new replies.