Silly question about widgets

• OK, in advance I apologize for how silly this question is. I’m trying to move over from Blogger, where sidebar items were very easy to install and customize, even for me. So, I’ve read all the things about how to install widgets and I’ve identified a couple of widgets I’d like.

But they all say to download the program into “wp-content/plugins/widgets directory” and I have no idea what that means. Is it something in my wordpress blog or something on my hard drive? And if it is on the blog, how do I get there? And if it is on my harddrive, how do I get there and then how do I get it into the widget box on my widget page?

I’m trying really hard to “get” this stuff. Any help much appreciated. Tried all widget stuff in the FAQs but they must assume I know this, which I don’t. Thanks!

• You should read the Read Me First sticky; it explains the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org. The instructions you’re reading for widget plugin installs apply to WP.org, not here. We don’t install plugins here at all.

The widgets you can choose from are on your Widget page under Presentation; those are it. Text widgets are very flexible: you can put almost anything in them except javascript, flash, forms, or ads.

• Thanks. I did read the Read Me First sticky, but I didn’t pick up on that. Doctoral education, no less! Appreciate your help, raincoaster.

• Thanks. I did read the Read Me First sticky, but I didn’t pick up on that. Doctoral education, no less! Appreciate your help, raincoaster.

• If you find one you particularly like it is worth suggesting it on the feedback forms – they are adding new ones regularly. If you also suggest them on this forum and ask for comment it might help.

• The topic ‘Silly question about widgets’ is closed to new replies.