Reusable Blocks + Block Editor in General

• I was prompted by @supernovia to follow up on my issues with reusable blocks.

Essentially, when I click edit on a reusable block and try to add new blocks to it, it shows me an error message sometimes, saying that I can either attempt recovery, copy the post text, or convert to HTML. It doesn’t happen every time, but it’s happened more than once while I was trying to edit the footer of my posts (related posts + a heading).

More generally with the block editor, I already made some previous topics about issues I had (Post Carousel Font Colour). Additionally, I find that editing text is a lot more difficult, specifically with line height and things like that. I have to manually change the line height of every block, which is honestly not fun. I also posted in the feedback on the block editor forum thread about selecting multiple blocks, because it’s not smooth at all and very difficult to select specific blocks with other blocks inside of them (the form block). The entire process could be a lot easier to use, but overall, I think I still prefer the new editor better, as the amount of new features outweighs the classic editor.

Regardless, thank you to the WordPress staff that are working diligently to solve these issues! Y’all are so quick at responding and addressing questions and problems. Keep it up!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi! I changed my name in the post because I’d accidentally responded to your comment with my test account .. oops!

We’ve got some eyes on the issue with selection. It’ll probably take a bit to sort it out, but know we’re surfacing it with our designers and developers.

I think I may have seen the issue you’re describing with reusable blocks, once, but it’s been a while. Can you step us through the kinds of edits you might make? I’ve also noticed that while I’m super comfortable in HTML, CSS, and light coding, if I edit block code directly, sometimes I get that error even when I can’t see any difference between my version and the version it wants to resolve to.

I’ll have to see if I can duplicate that more, but can you confirm whether you’re editing code when you see this?

Regarding general styles like line heights and stuff like that: right now the only great way to adjust line-heights and what not, for your entire site, is through Additional CSS (available only on Premium). But there’s a whole project out there on making this easier and available to everyone:
    https://make.wordpress.org/design/handbook/focuses/global-styles/

I’m not positive when this will be implemented, but know folks are working on it as we speak. And when it’s here, I think you’ll love what it can do for the types of styling changes you’re talking about.

• Hi there! No worries, it happens to the best of us :)

I’m editing in the block editor, not the direct code. With reusable blocks, it’s usually when I try to add new blocks to the reusable block. I also found that the blocks inside don’t show up as a separate block when selected (i.e. the toolbar shows “No block selected.”). I also had trouble specifically with adding related posts to the reusable block (the related posts block on my site right now is added separately and manually for each post).

Thank you to everyone who is for working on improvements to customizing style!

• The topic ‘Reusable Blocks + Block Editor in General’ is closed to new replies.