Removing the scrollbar from the post editor one of the worst "improvements" yet

• @bharatabharati
    If the changes you make are very small you might consider cropping the image slightly instead. You can do that from the image editing pop-up by clicking on the Edit Original button.

• Got it. But it seems odd to me that anybody, even a non-member, can see an image in my media files with just a link.

This is not odd if your blog is public viewable. In fact it is not much different as if you would add an image to one of your public blog articles to show the image to your readers. If you add one image to your article, the browser of the person that reads your blog must know where the image is directed to load and show the image, in this case it´s then stored in your media library. If this would not be allowed, nobody could see images in your articles. So basically, adding an image to your article is pretty much similar to adding a link to your image. In both cases there is an URL (address to the image) behind it that loads from the library or directs to the image in the library. As said, otherwise no-one could see your image.

Btw. most of the internet works like this. All graphics you see here in the forum are stored in a folder on a server. If the admins would decide to make the folder protected, we all wouldn´t see graphics of buttons and what not. It´s not odd.

• @kokkieh

Cropping is of no use here. Image resizing is done visually within the text it is placed, with adjustments made where they are seen to be needed. The image is then adjusted by pulling the side edge to make it wider (or narrower), if needed, or pulling the bottom edge to make it longer (or shorter) in relation to the surrounding text.

The problem is that these two image resizing functions have disappeared in the last few days, and the image can only be resized proportionally.

• @ kokkieh,

I will try snag.gy, thanks. I saw a nice image a couple of days ago from there. Was that yours?

Your media library is as public as your posts.

Posts are published. Unpublished posts are not available to the public. Why should unpublished images be? My media library may have published and unpublished images, attached and unattached. I think the method described by diaryofdennis, above, does not involve publishing the screenshot on your blog. I specified that in the comment he responded to. Diaryofdennis said,

In the dashboard of your blog and on the right dashboard sidebar… click on “media” and then on “Add New”. Drop the file there or click on “Select files”. Once uploaded, just click on media again where you find all your uploads. Your new uploaded screenshot should now be on top of the list… go over the image with your mouse and click on the pencil symbol that appears there. This is the image edit mode and on the on the right side, you just need to take the direct adress to the image under “URL”. Link this address here and we will find your screenshot.

• diaryofdennis,

Yes, I know that images published in posts are available to the public and therefore they gain access to one of my media files when I publish and image on a page or post. Your description of how to make a screenshot available here was a response to the following:

I know how to make screenshots, but I don’t know how to include a screenshot from my blog here, as you did, without publishing it (which I don’t want to do).

“…without publishing it (which I don’t want to do).” What I meant to say was that I didn’t want to publish a page or post, as I’ve sometimes done in draft for staff, just to make an image available. So I thought your method, which I haven’t tried yet, was a way of making the image available without publishing it. That’s what I asked for. :)

• @ bharatabharati,

The method you describe sounds exactly like what I do. I keep making small adjustments and checking and checking until it looks right. But…

If the image size is kept to 200 px–little more is fine–there usually won’t be gaps in the text surrounding the image.

200 pixels is usually too small for me.

• @musicdoc1
    There’s quite a few of us here who use snaggy, so don’t know if it was mine :)

Posts are published. Unpublished posts are not available to the public. Why should unpublished images be?

Good question. My best guess is that the media library works like other image hosting services like Flickr or Picasa web albums. There anyone with the link can also access it as long as it’s set to public. Granted, over there you can set you images to private, which I don’t think we can do here. Might be something for the ideas forum, that one.

Point remains, if your blog is set to public, any image in your library can be viewed by someone with the URL (though I don’t think search engines can crawl it – they only have access to published images). Staff can also view images in the libraries of private blogs, but only does so at user request when providing tech support.

• Point remains, if your blog is set to public, any image in your library can be viewed by someone with the URL…

You mean the image URL. I was just thinking that the method described by diaryofdennis grants limited access to precisely one image in your media library. I like the idea, if it’s safe.

• Does it work the same with attached and unattached images?

• Point remains, if your blog is set to public, any image in your library can be viewed by someone with the URL…

Which URL? An image in your media library has a specific URL?

• My media library images all seem to have “wp-admin” in the address bar. They’re evidently not public.

• It works the same for unattached and attached images, yes. Each image has its own specific URL which you can see if you click on Edit for an image in the library. It’s in its own box in the Image Details module.

Someone with that URL will only be able to view that image, they won’t be able to view your whole library, if that’s what you’re worried about.

• My media library images all seem to have “wp-admin” in the address bar.

Example:
    Media library URL for image: https://kokkieh.wordpress.com/wp-admin/upload.php?item=3794
    Image URL: http://kokkieh.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/kokkieh-stats-world-map-july-2014.png

You find the image URL here: http://snag.gy/5XyTS.jpg

• re: Screenshots for this thread

Ladies and gentlemen, may I suggest for the general efficiency of this thread to just use http://snag.gy for all screenshots for this thread?

It obviates the need for us to publish anything new on our blogs, etc.

(@timethief: Thank you for suggesting snag.gy.)

• @thenakedlistener
    Was thinking myself we’re getting way off-topic now.

@musicdoc1
    If you have more questions regarding screenshots or the media library it might be better to start a new thread.

• Thanks kokkieh,

Maybe I’m just not very bright today. If only I had an “Image Details” module. Just clicked on Edit button of four different images. Where’s the Image Details module. None found.

But this has led to discovery of a the worst new problem I’ve had yet (since the great “improvements” of 22 September). Merely visiting the “new improved” media library is enough to crash my site. CPU usage quickly climbs to over 60% and continues to climb, hovering between 80 and100 percent after a minute or so.

• @ kokkieh
    @ thenakedlistener

You’re right. Sorry. There’ll be several new threads. Wish this one had remained more focused.

• @musicdoc1
    This might help for finding the URL: http://en.support.wordpress.com/images/image-settings/ Also see my screenshot here: http://snag.gy/5XyTS.jpg You’ll only find that if you edit images via the library, not via posts.

I think starting a new thread on the media library crashing your computer would be the better option here.

• re: Fount differences within the text area

This is just a heads-up to the staff/devs.

I have just discovered a (potential) issue that may (or may not) be related to the general issues raised by this thread.

The screencap is self-explanatory: http://snag.gy/cj16q.jpg

I have checked that this is unrelated to my browser (Firefox 31.0 on Windows XP SP3) and I’ve done the usual routine of clearing caches, shutting down extensions, &c, to ensure to the extent possible that it isn’t browser-related.

Perhaps the staff/devs could also look into the matter to see if the new interface is potentially producing this artifact.

(It’s okay, I’m not looking for a solution to this issue of mine right now. No rush.)

• I meant crash my PC

• The topic ‘Removing the scrollbar from the post editor one of the worst "improvements" yet’ is closed to new replies.