Removing the scrollbar from the post editor one of the worst "improvements" yet

• The question is: is this something permanent or a technical glitch?

I don’t know and that’s why I tagged the thread for Staff. Staff work through all forum threads tagged for their attention and through all email support tickets in order of datestamps and timestamps – first posted first served, as would be expected.

How long it takes to clear the threads and support tickets depends on how many Happiness Engineers are working on them at any given point in time. It also depends on how complex the issues in each thread and ticket are are.

Don’t bump your thread because it’s not in your best interest to post to it after it has been tagged for Staff help. Every time we post the timestamp moves forward and it takes longer to get a Staff response.

• Note: the little bars on the bottom right to change the size of the editing window still function here in these forums. What thought process would eliminate that option for posting on wp.com blogs???? I dislike posting text in a postage stamp sized tiny rectangle.

Or perhaps I’m (with much hope) missing the point???

• sorry tt,
    maybe my eye infection is causing me more trouble? It’s scary having visual problems.

• @1tess
    I’m afraid to find out what guys are referring to lest it becomes the final straw that prompts me to move back to self-hosting, or even to Blogger. Blogging there is so freaking easy compared to the hoop jumping we have to do here due to the continual changes we are surprised with.

• Twenty-eleven theme; using IE9

went to add a new post this afternoon and found that when writing in the white editor box that the text moves up behind the toolbar while the vertical scroll bar in the white editing box no longer appears. The cursor also moves BEHIND the toolbar so that I can’t see what I’m typing as I’m typing it.

made sure 3rd party cookies enabled; cleared browser cache; tried different zoom levels, including 100 percent; installed chrome and found that the same thing happened; tried text and visual views

no solution from taking these actions

I also noticed that the “word count” box, which normally stays at the bottom of the editing box now seems to float at the bottom of the screen. the insert media page also used to display two columns of pictures but now just shows a single column

Now, here’s the odd part. When I start the blog in IE compatibility view, which messes up the page view by moving the right hand column down on the home page, i see that the add new post page works as it should.

The problem is almost like the toolbar buttons of the add new post page are fixed in place, but somehow the editing box is floating around as I scroll up and down the page to add tags and preview posts.

I’ve never messed with any of the coding revealed by the IE9 F12 key.

Did a file or line of HTML or CSS get corrupted?

The blog I need help with is saboteur365.wordpress.com.

• I am experiencing the same issue with the missing internal scrollbar. (My blog is http://thenakedlistener.wordpress.com.)

I have a screenshot of my today’s interface at http://snag.gy/rYAXM.jpg.

Would appreciate someone here tag this thread for staff attention for an authoritative answer if it’s a glitch or a new feature.

Thank you to all and best wishes.

• @thenakedlistener
    This thread has been tagged for staff response. You can subscribe so you’ll be noticed when there is a response.

• 1tess,

Correct me if I am mistaken but are you-all talking about the corner on the bottom right so that you can make the editing windows (visual or text) nice wide and long…

Yes.

I may be misunderstanding, but the “scrollbar” is still there…

There is a scrollbar and a window lengthening tool in the comments window of this forum. But the same features are absent from WordPress.com post and page editors as of today. Removed sometime today I believe.

• Hi. As of 30-45 minutes ago, I am experiencing the same problem. The ability to modify the size of the post editing box disappeared, and the editing box is now the size of the entire post.

I had something similar to this happen a couple years ago, when the post editor size was inadvertently set to a large number. The link to that closed topic is https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/where-is-my-normal-new-post-page/page/2?replies=44.

In addition, I’ve got one other weird thing happening. Posts are showing up in the edit box in visual mode vs. the typical HTML mode. That’s probably something different. Thanks, John.

• musicdoc1,
    I see it. Guess I’m having trouble believing it. ≥^!^≤
    Or at least understanding the logic of it? It could be a mistake? I hope!

• @paladinjustice,

The problem is almost like the toolbar buttons of the add new post page are fixed in place, but somehow the editing box is floating around as I scroll up and down the page to add tags and preview posts.

Exactly. The post editor toolbar was fixed in place. That was a good change. However when the toolbar was fixed in place, they removed — intentionally or not remains to be seen — the editor window scrollbar and resizer (lengthener).

The biggest problem with this that I’ve found so far is that it takes twice as long to make a single edit because now you’ve got to scroll twice. Imagine a longish post. Before you would scroll down to the line or image you wish to edit, make the edit, and update. The update button and the tags didn’t move while you scrolled down to make the edit, so you could keep them just to the right of whatever paragraph, line, or image you were presently working on.

Now, you have to scroll down to the work area, make the edit(s), and scroll back up to find the update button and the other publishing options. Twice as much work for each edit, taking twice as long.

• I think we’re experiencing the same problem. Everything has worked fine, as intended, until today. Now, when writing a post, as I scroll down with the outside vertical scroll bar the writing I’ve done in the white editing box disappears behind the toolbar along with the cursor. I can still see the cursor blinking, but the blinking cursor is hovering over the toolbar or even goes up off the top of the page.

Anyway, I’m reasonably sure I did nothing to cause the problem. Like you say, I can still work but it takes twice as long to do anything.

• Since yesterday, when source editing my articles, the previous double vertical scrolling (one for the text, another for the environmental meta data) is now replaced by a single scrolling.

I find that completely inpractical, for example when copy/pasting tag data from the text area of a longer text in the tags meta area.

User Naked Listener’s screenshot shows what I mean: http://snag.gy/rYAXM.jpg

I would prefere the old version with two scrollbars!

Carolus
    Firefox 31.0

• I’ve also had the following two other problems since yesterday with the new “improved” page and post editor:

1. Can no longer center paired images side by side as I’ve done for the past 3 years or more. The second image now always gets bumped down to the next line. See my thread: Cannot center paired images anymore as of July 22, since new post editor changes.

2. YouTube video codes are being stripped following update when pasted into the new “improved” WordPress page and post visual editors. I’ve had to switch to text mode to keep them from being stripped upon update. Can’t remember ever having such a problem with YouTube videos. Been pasting them into blogs for nearly six years. Have inserted well over 10,000 YouTube videos successfully into my WordPress blogs in those six years. Then came yesterday’s “improvements” to the WP post/page editors.

• @kreidfeuer,

Nice snaggy image, illustrating the issue. The external scrollbar is, of course, a browser feature, not a WordPress feature.

• addendum to my 1:55 AM comment:

3. Since yesterday, I’m also finding that text pasted from WordPad is being stripped in the WP visual mode of post and page editors. The case is even worse than with the stripping of YouTube video codes, because in this case they are stripped as soon as you paste, not after update. Never happened before yesterday in 6 years.

• @musicdoc1

@kreidfeuer

I agree with both of you. The lack/absence of the internal scrollbar makes for more effort/work to write & edit. Scrolling down all the way to the editing position & then scrolling back up to the Save Draft/Publish/Update buttons gets to be a chore after a while.

If this is to be the new interface format, I’m sure it can be lived with. I would suggest WordPress make this improvement as well:

– EITHER keep the “Publish” panel pinned/fixed so that we wouldn’t have to scroll all over the place for the Save Draft, Publish and Update buttons during editing;

– OR design a “Save” button somewhere in the editing toolbar to make it easier to save our edits without having to scroll around.

I can appreciate there is a need to accommodate mobile device users, so I think at least a fixed “Save” button would be a good starting point to make this new interface more practical.

Thanks for reading my twopence worth.

• @ thenakedlistener,

Well said.

• I thought I could learn to like this but I don’t. I absolutely hate this new change! It takes more time to actually type my posts now. I hate that the editor keeps getting longer and longer and longer and longer. My posts are sometimes very lengthy and I have to constantly scroll down the whole page, having to scroll back up again to preview my post, save, whatever the case maybe. I hope WP is listening. No one likes this. Give us back the scroll bar in the editor! And why can’t we be updated when a new update is rolled out and why can’t we opt out of these updates if we don’t want them? I am beyond annoyed right now. This new update is literally taking all the fun out of blogging because it takes so long to do a post now.

• Friends,
    I would precise my problem with the new editor version (if I have a longer text):
    Whenever I set a tag, I have to copy the tagword out of the text, then scroll up (ok, that’s one keystroke), then paste it in the tagging area (can here added by prename f.ex.), then scroll down to or searching the following text; and this for each tag!

That’s very impractical.

• The topic ‘Removing the scrollbar from the post editor one of the worst "improvements" yet’ is closed to new replies.