Reblogging

• I agree with @justjennifer. I am not giving permission for people to take parts of my blog, and i have it written in my sidebar that copying, either part, or whole is not permitted, and most people would rspect that. But now they are being giving an option to take parts of my blog. Therefore, i (and others) should have an option to disallow this reblogging. This has really wound me up this morning and i am not posting anything. If i had known about this 3 days ago i wouldn’t have set up my blog here at WordPress. Simple as that.

• *And* it also says, we respect your right to control your content as you wish.

That is also a win.

• i like the “Like” button , and it would be better if some analytics is added to it to know how many people liked it etc. But the reblog feature is not good.

• atleast there should be a reblog control option with which the users can allow or disallow reblogging of content

• @jintyinky- it is a sad fact of life that anyone who really wants to can take and use your content in ways you may not wish. You can put up a notice, write it in in 72pt bold font, in red, and unless you catch them out, you will continue in ignorant bliss of the event. Read through the forums and you’ll find bloggers whose content has been copied and posted elsewhere without their consent.

My point is that I don’t feel our host should be helping to facilitate the copying of our content if we don’t want it copied.

Also, what now is the point of the WP.com rating system or the various non-WP.com reshare buttons that many of us have on our blogs? Makes them rather redundant. Just saying…

• Copy/paste has been around forever and there is nothing we can do about that. An opt-out would falsely imply that your content is safe and we cannot say that.

QuickPress has been a feature of WordPress since 2005 and that is very similar. So again that basic functionality has been around since before this site started.

Blogs that are external to wordpress,com and which take content we advise as far as we can about how to get them closed.
    Blogs inside wordpress.com that take content either completely or repeatedly from other blogs anywhere get shut.
    Blogs that suddenly sprout up here purely to reblog will get looked at. Our stance that blogs should consist of mainly original content does not change.

——

@jintyinky: the reblog feature does not give them permission any more than them already knowing how to copy/paste. They can still see and understand your words.
    But let’s say another art blogger finds your work and does reblog it. You get the links to your site and you get the satisfaction of knowing that a fellow artist found your work worthy enough of linking. This gives you visibility, it promotes you. It does not take whole images, it does not take whole text. It’s just one person saying that another is worth checking out.

No-one here agrees with content theft but Fair Use does exist as do many posts and bloggers who deserve a way to get wider exposure. And that’s what it is all about.

• @justjennifer i am well aware that whatever i say about copyright on my blog doesn’t prevent anyone from stealing it. I’m not naive. My point is that people who steal content find some excuse such as they didn’t know they weren’t allowed to take it. I have it clearly stated on my blog and postings so that they can’t use that excuse. But now they have another excuse…Wordpress ALLOW them to take it.

• @jintyinky Not saying I agree with the reblog nor disagree I am simply replying to let you know just because you have no copy at all the “fair use act” trumps the no copy of your content if someone uses a snippet of your written content with correct attribution legally there would be nothing you could do….

Edit: I forgot to mention as long as they are not using your content to make money….

For further researching → http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl102.html

• “You quote other people’s blogs? This is no different.”

It is, because it’s not a quotation inside a post, it’s a separate (auto) post.

“Copy/paste has been around forever and there is nothing we can do about that.”

But you needn’t have added yet another tool for doing it – and a fast one at that: one-click auto-posting.

“An opt-out would falsely imply that your content is safe and we cannot say that.”

An opt-out could be accompanied with a clear explanation that would leave no room for false implications.

“You get the links to your site”.

They can be deleted in a couple of seconds.

“It does not take whole images”.

It does (the first image it finds in the post). Videos too, if they are near the beginning of the post.

“Fair Use does exist as do many posts and bloggers who deserve a way to get wider exposure.”

Right. Allow us to choose if we want this kind of exposure.

• To me this feature is a move away from real blogging (you know? like, say, think before posting?) and into the world of kids fooling around in Facebook: only fit for those who torture us by forwarding every stupid video they see and every stupid chain mail they receive.

And why coin a new word when we already have the word splog?

• @slikbonez the point i am trying to make is that i have it written in my blog that copying is not permitted, either in part or whole. But that will be ignored if there is a link at the top of my blog for them to do just that.Yes i do own the copyright to my sketches, Pure and simple. If for instance you took one of my sketches and used it without my permission then you are in breach of copyright laws. Fair usage is just an excuse that plagiarists use to try and get away with what is actually theft.

• @jintyinky I mentioned written content if you look closely at my reply…

“fair use act” trumps the no copy of your content if someone uses a snippet of your written content with correct attribution

• @ slikbonez I’m not arguing about that and of course you are correct. But my point is that i am saying that people CANNOT use even just parts of my blog, and WordPress are saying YES they can. I am not giving permission for parts of my blog to be used, whether that’s for fair usage or not, but it seems i have no rights at all with my own content, because WordPress are overiding my decision to NOT share.

• “An opt-out would falsely imply that your content is safe and we cannot say that.”

So you should introduce a feature that would imply that blogger’s contents ARE safe. I know it is not doable but how wise is it to be doing the exact opposite of it? i.e, introduce a new tool to make it more easy for people to copy other people’s contents without permission? This makes no sense.

Such feature at a social-networking platform is a common sense because at social-networking sites we’re all copying/forwarding each others’ bits and pieces. But I thought WordPress was a blogging platform where people write blog posts.

It is also understandable that not everyone writes original blog posts and you may be trying to introduce a social-networking piece into the blogging platform. But all that we’re asking is you provide an opt-out feature for those who may not wish to participate in this social-networking game.

You provided an opt-out for Possibly Related posts feature (which by the way seems to have disappeared lately). So why not provide opt-out for this as well?

• I completely agree with what @panaghiotisadam says. And @arifsali <quote>But all that we’re asking is you provide an opt-out feature for those who may not wish to participate in this social-networking game.</quote> i support this.

An option in the account settings may be included for like in the Appearances -> Extras to enable/disable the blog sharing button, like the related links as @arifsali said.

• To me this feature is a move away from real blogging

panaghiotisadam is right. Instead of WP finding more ways to make it easier for people to use our content, they should at least try and develop methods along the lines of Copyscape — or just buy Copyscape — to make it easier for us to find the people taking our content without our consent.

Again, keeping your base happy by simply adding an ability to “opt-in / opt-out” for new non-critical features would probably be a really good and easily added idea…

• There’s an obvious lack of understanding of copyright and fair use among the WordPress development team. End this travesty and add an opt-out feature.

• I absolutely agree with arifsali that this new reblogging thing is way more fitting for a social networking site. On a blog platform such as wordpress, I would expect people who like my blog so much that they feel the urge not to steal but to promote me to write a little review of their own. Why thy like it, why their readers should read it. Whatever. Simply reblogging is not uncomfortably close to splogging, it’s also unoriginal, boring and without news (of whatever kind) worth – all three integral parts of blogging.

Definetely want that opt-out possibility so that I can use it!

• OK here is a problem. If I reblog a post from another site, and then reblog the reblog, all links to the original article are gone in the second generation reblog. The first generation blog gets the links and the credit for the reblogged post in the second blog, but there is no link back to the blog on which the post was originally published.

I’ve fought this with my self-hosted blog for years, and have shut down more first, second, third and forth, etc., generation reblogs that I would even care to try and count.

This absolutely sucks as from personal experience, reblogging of reblogged posts is not at all uncommon, and once the second generation reblog happens, there is NO link back to the original blog. Also, how many people are actually going to keep clicking back from blog to blog to blog in order to get to the original post? If they don’t know about this issue of successive reblogs, they wouldn’t even try.

This blows chunks wordpress – big nasty slimy chunks.

• Pitiful.
    And don’t works in secondary blogs (I’m not worried about it at all).

• The topic ‘Reblogging’ is closed to new replies.