random prompt for username and password

• I’m getting a popup on my blog from a site spa.tofucube.com that is asking for a username and password. It definitely does not look right to me. My computer does not seem to be infected.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• That’s not a WordPress.com blog and we don’t have any feedback on that.

• I am receiving the same pop up.. No problem with any other functions on my computer. Anyone have ideas on a fix?

• We can’t even begin to guess if it’s a WordPress.com problem or not because we don’t know what blogs you’re talking about. Please always leave a link to your blog, starting with http, or read the sticky thread at the top of the forums called 8 Things to Know Before Posting

• I am getting the same popup. It’s happening in Chrome and IE but not Firefox. My blog is racingforchange.wordpress.com. Any help with this would be appreciated.

• I’m getting the same thing in Firefox now when I go to my blog.

http://firetraceviking.wordpress.com/

• I’m not getting the pop-up, which leads me to believe that it is related to your PC, and not to wordpress.com. Try to clear your cookies and see whether it persists. There could also be some adware lurking on your PC somewhere.

• Thanks. This is what I see when I look up Tofucube:

registrant:
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.

DomainsByProxy.com
    15111 N. Hayden Rd., Ste 160, PMB 353
    Scottsdale, Arizona 85260
    United States

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: TOFUCUBE.COM
    Created on: 12-Jan-07
    Expires on: 12-Jan-10
    Last Updated on: 13-Nov-08

Administrative Contact:
    Private, Registration (email visible only to moderators and staff)
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    United States
    (480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Technical Contact:
    Private, Registration (email visible only to moderators and staff)
    Domains by Proxy, Inc.
    DomainsByProxy.com
    United States
    (480) 624-2599 Fax -- (480) 624-2598

Domain servers in listed order:
    NS03.DOMAINCONTROL.COM
    NS04.DOMAINCONTROL.COM

Registry Status: ok

I suggest at this point contacting staff directly via http://support.wordpress.com/contact and letting them know all the details, including where it pops up (dashboard, blog posts, when you mouse over a link, etc).

• Oddly enough, I’m actually getting this popup whenever I check other sites as well, but only blogs… (Mine happened to pop up on multiple LiveJournal sites)

• Hmm, I’ve been systematically disabling and re-enabling my blog widgets and bits of code… Finally, when I disable my Snap.com Snap Shots, I no longer get the annoying Tofu Cube popup.

Can anyone confirm this?

Jay

• yup. confirmed. I discovered the same problem this morning and resolved it by disabling my Snap.com Snap Shots plugin.

I did the same systematic disabling and re-enabling of plugins just like you did. :)

• Awesome! Hopefully, our efforts will save the rest of us from too much agony. Next question: What’s up with Snap Shots?

• Well, not long ago they were transferred to a different service called MShots. Perhaps staff are transitioning to yet another service. This certainly explains why I’ve not seen this popup: I’ve got them disabled on every computer on every site on the internet. I hate the buggers.

Hopefully staff are now aware (through your reports) of the issue and will fix whatever it was that got borked.

• Aww. Great! that was driving us nuts.

• I have the same problem on my blog; http://ryanlibrarycirc.wordpress.com/. The window asking for user name and password popped up every time the blog was opened and even time I went to a new page in the blog. I’m hoping this will get fixed soon.

• Hmm… I had a similar Godaddy-related snafu back in May – staff were as baffled as I was. I was offline for a few weeks – moved house – when I got back online the problem was gone. Yep, I know that’s no help, but it does seem to indicate a long-running problem.

• Well it looks like I wasn’t the only one with this problem. Oddly, it hasn’t happened today at all, and I haven’t done anything different. I did a complete scan of my computer, and I don’t have any spyware or anything. Hmm

• This is Mike Agostino of Snap. We believe this problem is fixed. I apologize for the problems this has caused to the WordPress community. The problem was related to CDN caching of bad code.

If you are still seeing this issue, please post your experiences to this blog. The problem seems to plague some browsers, so please post your configuration.

For those who are still affected, the best cure is to do a force refresh or clear your cache.

Thanks.

Mike Agostino
    CTO
    Snap Technologies Inc.

• The topic ‘random prompt for username and password’ is closed to new replies.