Pop-Up image when mouse hovers over link

• I’ve seen blogs/sites where an image pops up when the mouse hovers over a word/link in a post.

1. How can I do that using a Depo Masthead theme?
    2. If I had a small picture in a post, How do I make it so a larger image pops up when the mouse hovers over it?

Thanks in advance! :-)

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• There isn’t anyway to do that at wordpress.COM.

• On note I’ll add is that people are getting really cranky about popups of any kind. If they are casually scrolling through a post and their mouse pointer happens to cross over one of those links, up pops a window that they did not want to see and in some cases, it can stop them cold in their tracks until after the image loads.

• 1) I don’t believe it’s possible at WordPress.com.
    2) Upload the larger image, then when putting it in a post, choose a smaller size, like thumbnail or medium, and link to the FILE, not the post.

• I despise pop-ups.. I published a post Minimalist Blogging: Strip It! and my readers and I went to town on all the useless “tat” that peeves us off as readers. Pop-ups and autoplay music are at the top of our click out and never return again list.

• Interesting. I’m not sure if “pop-up” is the proper term. Maybe it is.

I couldn’t find the original site I saw this on. But I was looking to do something similar to what google does now with their links. When you hover the mouse over it, a preview of the site “pops up” on the side.

I just wanted a larger version of a picture that is in my post to “pop up”. You have the expertise, I just want to clarify what I meant.

When I this done on other sites, the images don’t appear to be loading. It just seems to magnify the image.

Are you saying that cannot be done either?

• Should read: “When I *saw this on other sites….”

• But I was looking to do something similar to what google does now with their links. When you hover the mouse over it, a preview of the site “pops up” on the side.

No that can’t be done here.

What raincoaster said above can be done here:
    2) Upload the larger image, then when putting it in a post, choose a smaller size, like thumbnail or medium, and link to the FILE, not the post.

• Thanks all. Your responses came as I was typing my reply to sacred path, so I did not see them before I hit submit.

TSP and timethief you have both been supremely helpful as we try to build a worthy blog.

Raincoaster thank you very much!! I will try that! *fingers crossed* :-)

• I’m get really cranky when I try to figure out how to do something on wordpress , do a search, click on a link, get excited after seeing that the initial question is miraculously asking for exactly what I need, and then read the responses only to see that they have nothing to do with the original query. Just my $0.02.

• The topic ‘Pop-Up image when mouse hovers over link’ is closed to new replies.