Please Reinstate the Option of Choice to Use the Old Publishing Format

• Me too, but I could live with it if we got the link back to the Classic Editor, so that I can easily edit old posts.

• @thebrokenelbow

oh yes it does. makes me feel better to get back at the assholes and you know what? they pay heed, just like you did!

Who paid heed, and when was that?

• I sign onto WordPress every day with a feeling of dread. What “upgrade” will be foisted on me next. I am a professional writer/teacher and I do not “tweet” or “twitter” …. I use four computers, all of which have large flat screens. I certainly won’t waste my time fiddling on a phone of tablet. I use those for phone calls and checking inboxes. NOT for writing.

I want to be able to SEE my data. I don’t want to endlessly scroll or click … those are such elementary errors in web design that I can’t believe the engineers and site developers for WordPress seem oblivious to them.

For God’s sake put the tablets and phones aside and consider what a Blog is .. and the hundreds of thousands of serious bloggers who use WordPress. Forget the teenagers .. WE serious bloggers are the substance of WordPress.

If you must make changes, then at least leave the “classic” options … for editing and for stats … easily available to those of us who prefer them. Not on a hidden button in light font at the bottom of the page. Not fair! It seems that commonsense is being jettisoned in favor of some sort of ego struggle … commonsense says you want to encourage as many subscribers as possible …. not alienate a large portion of them. Remember too that most people don’t speak up … they grumble and then drift away.

And the Boop Boop Bump Bong thing is an embarrassment. It is truly cringe-worthy.

• @nikkitytom
    Hear Hear!

Please add my name to the ever-increasing list of people who want the Classic Editor returned as an option when editing old posts, preferably not as an option in Beep (expletive deleted) Boop but as a user preference.

Any software developer worth his/her salt adds new features as options – especially when they have not been properly tested. I guess WP have their own ideas on software development.

• @jazzylemon I use Tampermonkey on Chrome and it worked beautifully.

• I greatly prefer the Classic Mode . . .

and was glad that at least for awhile I was able to call it back from the Beep Beep (Bleep) Boop. I came to the Forum today desperate to find a setting selection to DEFAULT to the classic mode, only to find this thread about the loss of classic forever.

I hope enough of us are being heard that we can be accommodated.

• Jazzlemon, I responded to your concerns on another thread, but would like to add that you may need to increase the font size so you can read the text better. You should be able to do that through your browser. No need for a magnifying glass to do your posts or edits.

• Is ANYONE from staff actually reading this forum? Come on WP don’t ruin what is probably the best blogging platform available. This new editor just does not work! (See my previous comment about the tags and categories) And I also saw a post stating that the copy a post facility is not well used which is why that feature is not available. What? I am ALWAYS using the ‘copy post’ on my blogs.

Please. Use a little common sense and give us what we want not what you want us to have. So we can get back to being happy.

• @izit

Is ANYONE from staff actually reading this forum? Come on WP don’t ruin what is probably the best blogging platform available. This new editor just does not work! (See my previous comment about the tags and categories) And I also saw a post stating that the copy a post facility is not well used which is why that feature is not available. What? I am ALWAYS using the ‘copy post’ on my blogs.

Yes, jeremeylduvall is reading and responding individually to almost each and every question/concern raised. Quite a task in itself I would say.

However, not all of the responses are well received. Mainly being, that WP do not intend to deliver what is being requested.

I too use Copy Post. My weekly posts follow a set format and contain common items.

I imagine – and I may be stating the obvious here – that they want us to have what they want us to have, because they have already made a significant investment in it and are not willing to write that investment off. Now they have decided on the path to follow, they will follow it to the (bitter?) end.

• @hopnut
    Well said above.

I imagine – and I may be stating the obvious here – that they want us to have what they want us to have, because they have already made a significant investment in it and are not willing to write that investment off. Now they have decided on the path to follow, they will follow it to the (bitter?) end.

Sadly, I think you are right. :(

• But we’re not asking WP to write-off the new editor. I’m sure there are people that get on fine with it. All that we are asking for is the reinstatement of the link to the Classic Editor.

Look – you’re committed to keeping the Classic Editor (or so you say), so please do the decent thing. Let common sense prevail instead of this intransigence .

• Hi All,

Two larger points that have been requested:

Theme-specific page templates will be added to the New Editor, hopefully within the next one to two weeks. I’ll post here when this is live.

Numeric-only tags/categories should now be working.

@musicdoc1

It looks like that post may have been created before we made the change (a few years back). I took a look at your recent posts, and they all seem to read 25+ (and only 25 revisions are actually saved). Going forward, we only keep 25 revisions for a given post.

@izit

I also noticed that I cannot remove any tags or categories already set up so there’s another bug.

The Tag/Category management (to remove existing categories) hasn’t been moved to the “new” interface at WordPress.com just yet. It’s on our radar though for future!

@justjennifer

As someone else already mentioned (knashermac, I believe) what is the harm in returning the link to the Classic Editor from the New Editor?

I understand that this is the overall consensus among the group here. However, we won’t be adding that link back. The feedback provided in this thread is incredibly helpful as we continue to improve the New Editor. I know you know this, but bookmarking the Classic Editor link is the best method to continue to use that editor.

@jazzylemon

Also this forum is too hard to read, my head is positively swimming after reading only a few posts and i’m incredibly nauseous. Why do they make it so hard to use this site? I hate it as well and am literally, physically sick over this. It doesn’t help that every time i go to post i hit what appears to be the big post button only to find out that what i’ve clicked on is ‘go premium’ as the ‘submit’ button is quite difficult to find and the print is so hard to see i have to not only wear my glasses but use a magnifying glass :(

Could you let me know the URL of the page where you’re seeing the Premium button? I’m not seeing the Premium button on the New Editor. I just want to make sure we don’t have a button messed up somewhere!

• knashermac2009

But we’re not asking WP to write-off the new editor. I’m sure there are people that get on fine with it. All that we are asking for is the reinstatement of the link to the Classic Editor.

I can’t help feeling that sadly, the Classic’s days, ultimately, are numbered, despite what ‘people’ might say. I can’t see WP maintaining both indefinitely.

As far as WP is concerned, New Ed is the future. They may pay lip service to this group and even put the link-back back, but in the end, in the words of Highlander.. There Can Be Only One. And I know which one I’d put my hard earned wonga on.

• I understand that this is the overall consensus among the group here. However, we won’t be adding that link back.

I concede.

I will in future edit/add new posts and pages through the All Posts and All Pages pages.

That is until those routes force me to use beepity beep bop beep..
    And that day will come.

I can waste no more energy on this. The battle is lost.

• @hopnut
    I also concede and I will never again be so-opted into improving any WordPress.COM feature that I do not want or like.

• Bottom line is, New Ed is the future.

WP want everyone to use it. WP want those who do not currently like it to get used to it, and allow it to grow on them, so they may elect to use it in the future.

Therefore they will not provide a link from the New Ed to Classic Ed, which may tempt people away from it.

I understand that. Totally.

I do not however, like the New Ed, and I think it is a poor, poor replacement for an excellent piece of functionality.

• Footnote:
    But no-one at WP seems to give two monkeys nuts about that… Seems it is too late now. It is already built and implemented.

Now I really am done. :-)

Hopnut out.

• @jeremeylduvall

I understand that this is the overall consensus among the group here. However, we won’t be adding that link back.

I have another private site on WordPress.ORG software that I have yet to launch. I was not happy with being used as a guinea pig (unofficial BETA tester) here for software development and that is why I set it up. I am still busy with work but preparing for full retirement and it was my intention to watch to see how things developed here, and reluctantly move all my content from both blogs on their own domains this summer if things did not improve.

As I now know you and the whole crew of WordPress.COM Staff are committed to this project, may I please have straight answers to these questions:

1. Is the long term game plan to develop the new editor here at WordPress.COM and then bundle that new editor into WordPress.ORG software installs in the future?

2. If the answer is yes (don’t equivocate please) then will WordPress.ORG software users be able to remove it from their installs and use the TinyMCE editor instead?

• I strongly suspect the new editor is the result of national statistics which show that in the last year, mobile device users have exceeded computer users for the first time and that the gap continues to grow. Obviously, then, WP wants a platform suitable for mobile users. At some point the gap will become so great that the classic editor for computer users will disappear. (I think WP overlooks the fact that “using” usually means reading, browsing, listening, playing, not writing, designing, producing.)

Personally, I’d bet most of the stuff those mobile users use was designed and built on full-sized computers with full-featured programs and multiple tools. I’d also bet the WP devs right now are working on computers, not mobile devices.

• The topic ‘Please Reinstate the Option of Choice to Use the Old Publishing Format’ is closed to new replies.