Photo Gallery settings

• I added a Mosaic style to a photo page I am working on, and it looks good. I wanted to expand the number of columns to get more across the page, but the setting is not taking and it is defaulting to 3 across. Did I to it wrong, or doesn’t Mosaic support the columns parameter? Here is the code I modified:

<h2 style=’text-align: center;’>Click on any image to see it full size.</h2>
    <div class=’tiled-gallery type-rectangular tiled-gallery-unresized’ data-original-width=’500′ data-carousel-extra='{‘>
    <div class=’gallery-row’ style=’width: 500px; height: 224px;’ data-original-width=’500′ data-original-height=’224′>
    <div class=’gallery-group images-1′ style=’width: 334px; height: 224px;’ data-original-width=’334′ data-original-height=’224′>

[gallery ids='312,313,314,315,316,317,318,319,320,321,322,323,324,325' type='rectangular' orderby='rand' columns='5']

</div>
    </div>
    <div class=’gallery-row’ style=’width: 500px; height: 112px;’ data-original-width=’500′ data-original-height=’112′>

<!– close group –>

</div>
    <!– close row –>

</div>

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Here is the line I modified:

[gallery ids='312,313,314,315,316,317,318,319,320,321,322,323,324,325' type='rectangular' orderby='rand' columns='5']

• Hi there, only the default thumbnail gallery will take the column setting parameter. All the other Gallery types (tiled mosaic, tiled columns, circle, square) fill the width of the theme’s content area.

Also, in the Tiled Mosaic, you don’t have much control over which images are large or small as that is determined by an algorithm.

Let me know if you need more help with that.

• Jennifer, I went into Preview for this gallery

Gallery

There are 14 photos, but the preview is only showing 5 of them. Is this a limitation of Preview?

• Only Staff can see unpublished posts, so I’m not certain what the issue is, but I’ve tagged flagged this for Staff.

And I see you are actually referring to a different site. friendstofriendssite.wordpress.com

• Thanks.

– How do you flag it for staff? Thought that was modlook.

– Yeah, when I post it uses my first site not the one I am on at the time. No idea how to get around that, which is why I insert the actual page into the thread.

• Hi –

I’ll be happy to take a look. Which post or page is it on? A link would be a great help.

• Thanks, here is the link:

Gallery

In Edit it shows all 14 picture, in preview only about 5.

• Ah, Is it post 309? The fishing post? Sorry I missed the link on my first read through.

I’ve now poured some more coffee ;)

• Yes, that’s the post.

• Great. Thank you for confirming.

Are you working within the desktop app or web browser? Please share which version and type.

• I am working with the browser, I find the apps too limiting to build a new site. When I preview I click on the Desktop preview button.

• @moderntheologian -Since the site you need help with is Private, could you please mention what theme you are using on that site? Thanks

• Jennifer, that would be Responsive.

• Are you using the WP Admin Post Editor or the Calypso Editor?

• I have no idea. I am using the site through the web browser, whatever that uses.

• I am guessing it has something to do with the theme or the setup. It does show all 14 images randomly, but the size of the image block is always the same. I’ve seen up to 11 images in the block, sometimes the bottom images are cropped at the bottom.

• Sorry, I should have looked at your earlier post. The link tells me you are writing in the Calypso Post Editor.

I just fired up my test site with Responsive and loaded a gallery of 14 images taken with my phone’s camera (2.7-4.5MB each) and the Editor was not very happy about it. It took a really, really long time for them to resize and load in the Editor itself, but when I previewed the post, it loaded all 14 images rather quickly. So my guess is memory issues, but let’s wait for @lizkarkoski to reply.

While we are waiting, if you’re also uploading and inserting really large/heavy images from your camera or phone, you’ll want to read and follow this support doc on optimizing your images before uploading. https://en.support.wordpress.com/media/image-optimization/ It saves storage space and makes those images load much quicker.

• Hmm, thanks. I’m used to the site software doing the optimization rather than my having to do it. Just assumed WP would resize to what it actually uses. Any suggestion on optimum size, since the link doesn’t seem to address that?

• The topic ‘Photo Gallery settings’ is closed to new replies.