old/new dashboard/stats designs

• Why is there an old and a new stats and dashboard design? I am going schizophrenic between the two “systems” and don’t understand why you offer both. If you think the new one is better, then move everyone/everything there, period. I am mad every time I click on the wrong button (and it happens more and more often) and find myself in this new and odd “zone” and then it goes back to the old system without warning and… I don’t particularly like one system more than another but I just can’t stand the back and forth. It’s like you want people to go there (first with the “new and improved stats” and now with the dashboard and “new post”) and it’s just so confusing! I’ve been on WordPress for 8 years now, I am paying a lot of money to get premium service, and until recently, things went smoothly, but this new weird thing that pops up out of nowhere every now and then is driving me insane and I am becoming really upset because I don’t know what you want me to do and why this is happening!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• See here https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/new-post-editor-improvements?replies=5 and I’ll tag this thread for Staff to take note of your feedback.

• I am mad every time I click on the wrong button (and it happens more and more often) and find myself in this new and odd “zone” and then it goes back to the old system without warning and… I don’t particularly like one system more than another but I just can’t stand the back and forth.

P.S. I hear you. I have been here 4 months longer than you have been here and the rollercoaster ride has exhausted me. The joy goes right out of blogging when there are unexpected changes that result in new hoops to jump through and new hurdles to vault over to do things that were previously easily done with fewer clicks. That’s not to mention the stress of discovering new features don’t work or changes made cause brokenness that needs fixing. Just happily and successfully blogging becomes impossible when the playing field, the equipment, and the methods for reaching the goal posts keeps changing.

• Why is there an old and a new stats and dashboard design?

There are multiple threads re: stats not updating. Do you have that issue?

• Thanks for the link. I am so confused as to why the two systems co-exist, instead of simply improving one system, one area at a time… And no, I’ve never had problems with my stats.

• And no, I’ve never had problems with my stats.

Well that’s good news. :)

Maybe some folks like you and I have a different frustration breaking point than others do. Maybe we ought to just suck it up and keep up playing what’s become like a game that we have to win at by reading new manuals on the sidelines and learning new moves frequently in order to enjoy publishing content with ease.

• Why is there an old and a new stats and dashboard design? I am going schizophrenic between the two “systems” and don’t understand why you offer both. If you think the new one is better, then move everyone/everything there, period.

Why is there both vanilla and chocolate ice cream? One or the other, people. Come on.

• The intent is for the new editor to replace the classic editor. The development of the new editor and new dashboard have surpassed the one year mark. There will be no choices once the new editor is fully fledged because the classic editor will be gone. There may also be fewer hardboard navigation choices when the new dashboard is full fledged. https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/new-post-editor-improvements?replies=5 Hence I don’t know why you posted into this thread and moved the timestamp forward so it will take longer for lulu13 to get a Staff response at all.

• edit: hardboard = dashboard
    Sorry but I did not catch that error.

• Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback! Our team is working on a number of improvements that will be rolling out soon — our hope is to make it easier to manage all your sites at https://wordpress.com/ but I know the transition periods can be tough. There aren’t plans to remove the classic wp-admin dashboard, though, so if you’d prefer you’re welcome to keep managing your sites from there.

And if there are specific links or places where you’re getting especially confused or frustrated, please let me know the details and I can pass them along to our team.

• Hi rachelmcr, thanks for your response. My biggest problem is that I never know when I’m going to find myself in the new system. I click on something and surprise, I find myself in the new system… or not. I never know. And that’s what I find annoying. And it keeps changing (e.g. now when I click on “edit my post,” I SOMETIMES find myself in the new system, which never happened before, etc.). It’s the constant switching and surprises that drives me crazy. Maybe if we could choose in settings which system we want to stay in, that might help.

• I see what you mean — I’ll certainly pass that suggestion along to the team. :)

• Please ask WordPress why I can no longer find the buttons I need on the reader. The changes you feel are terrific are not user-friendly and are more complicating. Please bring back the older Reader since I cannot find stats unless I put in my formal WordPress site name.

Newer is not always better.

• @nykeypad — What buttons are you not able to find on the Reader? I’d be happy to help you find what you’re looking for there.

To find your site’s stats, you can head to your My Sites page. That defaults to showing your site’s stats first, and you can follow the links to manage other parts of your site, too.

• I hope it’s okay to chime in. :)

• I can’t seem to find a Logout link in the new design.
    • Several strings aren’t shown translate although they exist in GlotPress e.g. (Days, Weeks, Months, Years, View Site)
    • The new stats page requires a lot more scrolling :(

Cheers
    Martin

• Martin: for the first

• I can’t seem to find a Logout link in the new design.

https://en.forums.wordpress.com/topic/logout?replies=3#post-2164676

• Hi Martin, it’s definitely ok! Thanks for the comments.

I can’t seem to find a Logout link in the new design.

As mentioned in the link @galois gave, you can click on your Gravatar in the top right and log out using the link by your username on that page.

Several strings aren’t shown translate although they exist in GlotPress e.g. (Days, Weeks, Months, Years, View Site)

Thanks for pointing that out! We’re already working on getting those strings working correctly so the translations are used there, although I don’t have a timeline for when the fix for that will be launched.

The new stats page requires a lot more scrolling :(

Good point! I’ll be sure to pass that feedback along to the team.

• @Rachel

That was quick. My mentioned strings are localized now. :D

@galois

Thanks for the tip. Found the logout link with your help. :)

I have to say logging out is still to complicated now. Loading another page just to log out seems crazy. I hope they bring back an easy accessible logout link.

I’d prefer a drop down menu when hovering over your gravatar. Similar to the one you get when you click the the notification icon. Would make sense to me in that spot as it’s related to the gravatar/user account.

• Martin: I totally agree with you. :)

• I know what you mean about logging out being more complicated now — you’re not the only person to mention it, and that feedback has been passed along to our team. I can’t promise that it’ll change, but we’ll certainly consider other options!

• The topic ‘old/new dashboard/stats designs’ is closed to new replies.