Now unable to resize images in the Classic Editor

• What happens is that the editor displays the images in their original sizes. You can resize the image, but the image in the editor will remain in its original size, but once published, the image has been resized. Very strange. Also: “When I go into edit the home page looks different than what is displayed on the live web page.”

• Oh, that’s interesting – I’ll give it a try!
    Thank you!…

• Aha!
    I tried that, and it works – the image is reduced properly in the published version!
    Excellent!
    Thank you!…

• In conclusion:

• the problem has been diagnosed but not (yet?) solved.
    • for blank new pages / articles, the workaround will be to use the Full Classic Editor, as here:
      https://wordpress.com/support/classic-editor-guide/
    • for existing pages / articles, specially when there are other blocks inside, the workaround will be to keep in mind the resized images dimensions, and mentally “see” them in the Classic block editor (checking them in the published page / article).

It seems that all has been said on this topic.
    Hopefully the bug will be corrected soon.
    Thank you everybody.

• Thank you, yes. When something works, why change it? I started having issues with classic editor on August 4. A lead photo wouldn’t load, much less hyperlink. Then, on resolving that issue through persistence, I found that I can no longer resize photos. Should I just give up?

• I’m being facetious here!

• Just to clarify, is everyone using the same theme here?

Want to be sure we’re not barking up the wrong tree in our troubleshooting. If you can share the exact steps you’re using plus the browser & theme, we’ll see if we can duplicate it here.

• I’m using theme “independant publisher” on Chrome. Using the classic block but last few days if i add an image i can’t resize it in editor. For a little longer have also had other issues with the block, such as highlighted text deselecting when i try to make a hyperlink, highlighted text deselecting when trying to change font colour. Nothing happening when i highlight text (eg a couple of paragraphs and attempt to delete/overwrite)

• Thanks for the additional info!

In our investigation we discovered that this issue was also reported by another agent (on a site using a different theme) so it appears that the issue is not theme-specific.

Our developers are taking a look, and while I’m not able to provide an estimate on when it will be fixed, we will update this thread for everyone as soon as we have more info to report. Thanks!

• Imagine if we, as humans, became limited or obsolete each time a new model of human (new birth) came about! The idea is to improve, diversify, and maintain a system, not short-circuit it. For years now I’ve noticed that, with each update WP makes, something that’s working fine is altered— all in the name of progress. Please, please care about our needs collectively. We are just as invested in our blogs as WP is in its platform.

• Thanks for the feedback @flandin505. Please know it’s not a matter of deliberately breaking old software, just a bug that was missed in testing. We’ll keep working on fixing this!

• Hm…
    A bug eh?
    How about when the ‘Publish’ button suddenly goes pale blue, and inoperative, in the middle of writing your bog – and when you manage to ‘save’ it, it doesn’t appear later (as it used to) on the dashboard?…

• @davewhatt, is that happening in relation to resizing images? If not, can you start a new thread so we can troubleshoot that separately? Please include a link to the affected post, browser details, and any other context that can help, then add a modlook tag. Thanks in advance!

• Thank you for your reply!
    The resizing of images problem only occurs when using ‘Classic’ – although, from what I have read in these pages, the resizing, though apparently not working on the writing page, surprisingly, does eventually work on the published image – which is odd!

The fading and inoperative ‘Publish’ button has only happened two or three times in the last few weeks.
    I am slowly finding ways around these oddities.

Not being a ‘computer person’, I didn’t understand the rest of your message.

• The fading and inoperative ‘Publish’ button has only happened two or three times in the last few weeks.
    I am slowly finding ways around these oddities.

If it’s still happening, can you start a new thread here with any details you have? We don’t want people to have to find workarounds if we can spot the cause and fix it!

• I am still having issues with this, is everyone else as well?

• The staff said (“staff-totoro” – see above):
    Our developers are taking a look, and while I’m not able to provide an estimate on when it will be fixed, we will update this thread for everyone as soon as we have more info to report. Thanks!

• @bloodlinematt if you’re having trouble with resizing images in a Classic Block, you’re in the right place & we can note your case!

If you have a different issue, please be sure to start a separate thread for that.

• Resizing images inside Classic blocks now works again for me.
    Great!
    Thank you.

• The topic ‘Now unable to resize images in the Classic Editor’ is closed to new replies.