Noindex individual pages

• Hi,

I would like to suggest the option to no-index individual posts in addition to the “password protect” and “private” options.

I write a personal blog, and for the most part I want my posts to be indexed by search engines. However, there are exceptions, and currently the only option is to password protect those posts and then provide the link + password in a related post – when I still want my readers to be able to access them in the context of the blog.

I would much rather no-index selected individual posts so that “only to those with the direct link can access” (with no password protection), just as can be done with Google Drive documents.

That way I could link to those special posts from within relevant contexts without creating any “password required” walls on the blog.

I suggest that it could be a useful feature for many personal bloggers, who want some of their posts to appear in search results, but want more sensitive (but still public) posts to only be accessible from within the context of the blog.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• That is a good idea, I hope WordPress considers it!

Currently, to block search engines you have to insert a special metatag in the header of the page <meta name=”robots” content=”noindex”> or block them with a .htaccess file on the server (neither of which we can do on a hosted WordPress.com blog, unfortunately).

In the meantime, here’s a little hack that would allow your users to read your more sensitive posts, while keeping the search engines out:

password protect the sensitive posts and put the password in the post title ie: My Post (password: mados)
    or
    give all sensitive posts the same password and put the password someplace visible in your navigation/sidebar (Password for personal posts: mados).

Just a thought!

• The topic ‘Noindex individual pages’ is closed to new replies.