No wordpress.com url

• It’s been a while since I created a site, but recently I created a site for a gaming group I’m building up. Every other time I’ve created a website, it’s given me a wordpress.com url. This time, however, it gave me a home.blog url. When I try to change my site address, I cannot type a new name or anything, and if I try to switch it to a wordpress.com site, the ‘Change Site Address’ is grayed out. Is this a new feature to ‘persuade’ people to pay, or is there something I’m missing?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Also, it’s stupid that I can’t edit this post, but I do not need help with lyngilleland.wordpress.com. I don’t know why it put that in there.

• Hi there,

When I try to change my site address, I cannot type a new name or anything, and if I try to switch it to a wordpress.com site, the ‘Change Site Address’ is grayed out.

What is the address of the site you’re trying to change? And what WordPress.com address are you trying to change it to? Telling us what site you don’t need help with does not give us the information we need in order to help you.

If you cannot type in the address field at all, please try clearing your browser cache, and disable any browser add-ons you have installed that might be blocking code on that page from working – ad blockers and tracking blockers are the usual culprits.

Is this a new feature to ‘persuade’ people to pay, or is there something I’m missing?

We recently started offering a variety of free .blog subdomains as an alternative to free WordPress.com addresses, as most popular terms have already been used up for WordPress.com addresses. Offering a greater variety of free options hardly seems like a way to force people to upgrade.

but I do not need help with lyngilleland.wordpress.com. I don’t know why it put that in there.

It listed that site because that’s the primary site in your account, and you did not indicate the address of the site you do need help with.

• Hi there,

if I try to switch it to a wordpress.com site, the ‘Change Site Address’ is grayed out.

Do you mean using the Change Site Address Button? I seem to recall that even though the first part of the site name “appears” you have to actually type the first part in the box. If the WordPressdotcom site URL you typed is available, the Change Site Address button will become active.

Let us know how that goes.

@kokkieh
    , it really is not intuitive that the user needs to type it out, even when the subdomain prefix the user wants is the same as their current one. It does mention it in the support guide: https://en.support.wordpress.com/changing-site-address/ Thanks #justsaying

• What is the address of the site you’re trying to change? And what WordPress.com address are you trying to change it to? Telling us what site you don’t need help with does not give us the information we need in order to help you.

Sorry. I didn’t think it was necessary to state the specific web address (especially since it is a personal one for my friends and I). I was just looking for help on understanding how to change the url, if that was even possible.

We recently started offering a variety of free .blog subdomains as an alternative to free WordPress.com addresses, as most popular terms have already been used up for WordPress.com addresses. Offering a greater variety of free options hardly seems like a way to force people to upgrade.

Thank you for the clarification. I did not realize that this was considered an alternative, as when I created the website, I did not see a wordpress.com option. All I saw were a lot of paid options, with the free option in such fine print I almost didn’t see it at first. Other websites I use for various things ARE making changes that have been clearly geared toward discouraging free users and encouraging paid users. It appeared to me that, as a .com address was not clearly available, perhaps the .blog was the new way of making the website look less legitimate. I am not familiar with .blog, and to me, it looks sketchy.

If you cannot type in the address field at all, please try clearing your browser cache, and disable any browser add-ons you have installed that might be blocking code on that page from working – ad blockers and tracking blockers are the usual culprits.

Do you mean using the Change Site Address Button? I seem to recall that even though the first part of the site name “appears” you have to actually type the first part in the box. If the WordPressdotcom site URL you typed is available, the Change Site Address button will become active.

Thank you! This worked. It doesn’t make sense to me why retyping the exact same thing is necessary, but it worked.

I’m sorry if I offended anyone or came across more harsh than I intended. It has been a while since I have used WordPress and the changes that have been made are frustrating and un-intuitive to me.

• I didn’t think it was necessary to state the specific web address

If you tell us the specific web address, we can check if there’s an issue with that address. If you don’t we can just give generic advice.

Glad you managed to get it working.

• The topic ‘No wordpress.com url’ is closed to new replies.