New to wordpress

• I’m wanting to start a simple blog as a way to share information regarding a hobby. I don’t care about the blog looking pretty and attracting new users as I would refer people to my site to share information.

All that I want is the ability for text and pictures between the text. I’ve attempted to work on this while watching instructional videos, but they all seem more complex than what I need. The videos are typically very good but I have a need to ask questions specific to what I’m attempting to achieve.

Are there paid designers that I could turn to for help? Or, is this forum a place that I can turn with specific questions pertaining to my blog?

Thanks in advance for any help!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• The site you’ve linked to is at Wix. This is WordPress.com where things work differently. There are designers that can build a site for you here but it would be at a price more suited to people building sites for their business. If you just want a “hobby” site you can build one right here for free. I’ve had a site here for years and just picked things up by trial and error (you can always delete stuff you aren’t happy with). Just creating posts with words and images is easy enough.

https://wordpress.com/pricing/

https://wordpress.com/create-blog/

• Hi there,

All that I want is the ability for text and pictures between the text. I’ve attempted to work on this while watching instructional videos, but they all seem more complex than what I need. 

It’s worth noting that the version of WordPress we use on our WordPress.com managed hosting is a little different than the version of WordPress you will find with other hosting providers like GoDaddy, Bluehost, etc. Those providers do not offer in-house WordPress support like we do here, so a lot of the video you see on YouTube or the internet may not relate to the controls you have here on your WordPress.com site.

If you are looking to get started with your WordPress site, our free self-guided courses are a great place to start. This Quick Launch course is especially useful since you have not started a site under your WordPress.com account: https://wordpress.com/learn/courses/quick-launch/

As @themagicrobot has correctly mentioned, it is possible to create a page layout that is images alternating with text without much effort. We use a tool called the “block editor” and creating that kind of layout is usually as simple as adding a paragraph block (or multiple paragraph blocks) and image blocks. See:

WP
    WordPress Editor » Add Content Using Blocks
    3 min read
    A block is a single piece of content in the WordPress Editor. Think of them as the literal building blocks of your website. You can add blocks for text, images, video, audio, columns, spaces, page breaks, payment buttons, calendars, and much more! This guide will teach you how to get started with adding blocks. Video Tutorial How to Add a Block You can add a block anywhere you see

Are there paid designers that I could turn to for help? Or, is this forum a place that I can turn with specific questions pertaining to my blog?

Both options are available. If you are the kind of person to roll up your sleeves and do it yourself we have resources (like the links I’ve shared) to help you. Also if you have questions along the way you are welcome to ask us and we’re happy to take a look.

If you would like to consider having a site created for you, so you can simply take it over and get to the fun part of posting your content, we can help with that as well:

WP
    Built By WordPress.com
    3 min read
    Built By WordPress.com is the name of our full website design service program, available to anyone who would like to hire a professional team to build, design, and develop their website for them. Our team of project managers, designers, and developers will work with you to create a customized website presence for your brand and/or business.  Get Started Benefits A dedicated account m

I’d also like to add that one of the primary limitations of free sites on WordPress.com is that they must have a “wordpress.com” address. To use ozarkansas.net as the address of your site is definitely possible, but you will first need to upgrade to one of our paid plans. Since you are working on a simple blog, a great place to start is our Personal Plan, which includes a free domain transfer (if you choose the yearly option) and also turns off the ads we show on free sites, and gives you access to private email support as well as public help here in our forums.

Hope that helps. Please let us know if you have any more questions.

• Thank you…this explanation helps a lot.

To make sure I’ve got this straight…currently I’m using Bluehost. Would the personal plan replace my bluehost? The wordpress software is different through bluehost verse wordpress?

With the personal plan I can either email or post questions on this site?

Thanks!

• themagicrobot, Thanks for your response and clarifying the wix domain name.

• The topic ‘New to wordpress’ is closed to new replies.