New Bluehost hosted site using WordPress platform confused by login to previously created wordpress

• I had a wordpress blog (e.g. ‘myURL.wordpress.com’). And I’ve now created a new hosted website using Bluehost called ‘myURL.com’ using the WordPress platform. However as I’m trying to add plug-ins to my new hosted site, it keeps assuming my login is the old wordpress account. Do I need to delete the ‘myURL.wordpress.com’ for this to stop happening?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi fishers1life2live,

It sounds like your browser is trying to input the saved username and password into your self-hosted WordPress.org site. You can verify this by logging in with a different browser.

I’d suggest removing or changing the saved username/password in your browser settings. You shouldn’t need to delete your WordPress.com site.

• Hi there,

I agree with ellybiddle. The username and password for your Bluehost site is stored in that site’s database, and has nothing at all to do with your WordPress.com account. Along with your saved browser passwords (it’s not a great idea to let your browser remember passwords, by the way), also clear the browser cache and cookies. Then you should be able to log into the WP-Admin dashboard using the credentials you set for that site.

I would recommend you consider the Jetpack plugin, though. You can use that plugin to connect your Bluehost site to your WordPress.com account so you can log into it via your WordPress.com username and password. Aside from a number of security features, it will also add WordPress.com features like email subscriptions, stats, Likes and notifications to your site, and you can manage the site from either WordPress.com or the WP-Admin dashboard.

• Thanks for the replies, I am very new at all of this :) So I clicked on the Jetpack install and the only option for the google account to log into was NOT the account I used to set up my WordPress site hosted on Blue Host. So I went ahead and set it up that way but I don’t understand how it can make the connection between the two when I never associated the email that jetpack pulled in with my WordPress site. Not sure if this makes sense…

• the only option for the google account to log into was NOT the account I used to set up my WordPress site hosted on Blue Host.

What Google account are you speaking of? If you connect Jetpack, it links your self-hosted WordPress website to the WordPress.com username account you’re currently logged into. Google has nothing whatsover to do with it, so I don’t understand what you mean.

I do see the site, http://gonefishering.com/, now showing in your account as a Jetpack site, so it looks like you got it connected. If you now click on My Site ->Switch Sites you should see both your WordPress.com site, http://gonefishering.wordpress.com/, and your Bluehost site listed there, and you’ll be able to manage the Bluehost site from our interface.

For more info on how Jetpack’s features work, you can see here:

https://jetpack.com/support/

• If it seems like it got connected correctly, that is great! Now that I have http://gonefishering.com/ up and running I don’t really need http://gonefishering.wordpress.com/ (I never added content there anyway). Is there any reason I should not go ahead and delete the gonefishering.wordpress.com? If I delete it will I still be able to manage the bluehost site from the wordpress interface?

Thank you so much!

• Kokkieh,
    One more thing…on the google account reference. The wordpress member ID (fishers.1life2live) is NOT the same as I used to set up my gonefishering.com site. So that is why I was confused. How did it associate my gonefishering.com with the gonefishering.wordpress.com ID? Maybe these things don’t matter but it seems strange, especially if I am planning to delete my gonefishering.wordpress.com I don’t want to mess anything up with my new site.

• Is there any reason I should not go ahead and delete the gonefishering.wordpress.com?

It’s safe to go ahead and delete the WordPress.com site if you’re sure you no longer need it. Just keep in mind you won’t be able to re-register that address at a later stage. If there’s any chance you’d want to use the WordPress.com site again in future, rather just set it to private under My Site ->Settings.

Deleting that site won’t affect your Bluehost site in any way.

The wordpress member ID (fishers.1life2live) is NOT the same as I used to set up my gonefishering.com site. So that is why I was confused.

Ah, okay. The two are not related, no. The user id, email and password you set up for the Bluehost site, is unique to that site and stored in it’s database. It has no connection at all with your WordPress.com account. Not even Jetpack knows your login credentials for that site.

When you click Connect in Jetpack, it checks to see if you’re already logged into a WordPress.com account in that browser. It can see this via the browser cookies we save in your browser.

If Jetpack detects a logged in WordPress.com account, it prompts you to authorise a connection to that WordPress.com account, or otherwise it will ask you to log into a WordPress.com account. So you can have different usernames and emails for the self-hosted site and the WordPress.com account, but Jetpack will still be able to connect the two. As long as you keep both email addresses up to date, it doesn’t matter that they are different.

• Thank you SO MUCH! That totally explains my confusion and I’m sure what transpired. (I had the WordPress account open while I was setting up my Blue Host account). Really appreciate the detailed explanations.

Tamara

• Glad I could help :)

• The topic ‘New Bluehost hosted site using WordPress platform confused by login to previously created wordpress’ is closed to new replies.