My purchase domain cannot be set to primary

• I have purchase a domain with WordPress.com but when I try to set it as primary domain it says that I need to upgrade my plan.

Previously the purchased domain was set as my primary domain but all of a sudden the free domain is now my primary domain and
    I cannot change it back.

Since I have purchased the domain with WordPress.com, I should be able to use it as my primary domain right?

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

Custom domain cannot be used without a plan.

If you are purchasing the Premium Plan, you receive a free subscription credit to register a new domain or transfer/map a domain you currently own elsewhere.

Otherwise, If you are not purchasing Premium, then .wordpress.com site address will need to be used since you can’t use a custom domain without a plan.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks!

• Hi there,

It’s possible to buy a domain without buying a plan, but a paid plan is required to set the domain as primary, yes. Without a plan you can still use the domain with your site, but it will redirect visitors to your free WordPress.com address.

https://wordpress.com/support/domains/#set-a-primary-address

Previously a plan was required to merely buy a domain, which is no longer the case – you can buy a domain without a plan and just need a plan to set it as primary.

Sites that already had a custom domain without a plan prior to this change can continue to use that domain as primary without buying a plan, but this is not possible for any new domain purchases on sites that don’t already have another domain attached.

• Hi @kokkieh,

If you check my billing history, I believe that the domain I bought was together with a premium plan.

Is it possible for you to help me put my purchased domain with WordPress as my primary domain? As it was working well before but suddenly stopped working.

Thanks!

• @taimingk, it is not possible since you have canceled the plan.
    I can see, however, that you have not obtained the refund for the Premium plan so, if you wish, I can restore it back to your account. Let me know.

• Hi @fresatomica, previously when I cancelled my Premium plan, a WordPress staff assured me that my purchased domain would remain as the primary domain when I cancelled the plan.

Meaning to say that when someone goes to techjio(dot)home(dot)blog it will auto redirect to techjioblog(dot)com.

• Hi there,

Right now your domain is not pointing to your WordPress.com site (techjio.home.blog) and that’s because you have changed its name servers and pointed it to a site hosted by Bluehost.

Please let us know exactly what you want to do with that domain and which site you want to use (WordPress.com or Bluehost one) so we can further assist you.

• Hi @fstat, I would my purchased domain to be pointed to Bluehost.

Previously when I pointed the purchased domain to Bluehost, the free domain techjio.home.blog was still able to redirect to techjioblog.com as it was set as the primary domain.

As such, I believe my purchased domain just need to be set back as the primary domain like before.

• Please go to https://wordpress.com/domains/manage

From there, when you click on the custom domain to try and make that the primary option you’ll see a notice that an upgraded plan is required to do that.

Previously, you had an upgraded plan as part of your initial purchase from 2019-01-12.

• Hi @lizkarkoski, yes I know but what I’m saying is that a WordPress staff assured me that when I cancelled the Premium plan, the purchased domain will still be kept as the primary domain.

• Right, I see we told you that during a live chat on 13 March, and at that point that was the case.

But then you bought the Personal Plan on 1 May. This was after we made the change to how primary domains work with plans, so when you subsequently cancelled that plan, the domain was unset as primary.

It is not possible to set it as primary again without a paid plan.

As your domain is pointed to a Bluehost site, rather than to us, is your concern here that traffic to the WordPress.com address is no longer being redirected to the domain? If so, I can add a Site Redirect upgrade for you to take care of that – the first year will be free, but thereafter the Site Redirect will renew at $13 a year.

• Hi @kokkieh, yes that’s my concern. If the primary domain cannot be set then I guess I will have rely on the Site Redirect since the first year is free.

Can I also see the news release on the change to how primary domains work with plans?

Thanks!

• Hi,

I’ve added the site redirect to your account so the free WordPress.com subdomain should be correctly redirecting to techjioblog.com.

Can I also see the news release on the change to how primary domains work with plans?

You can check the information on our support pages:

https://wordpress.com/support/domains/#set-a-primary-address

• Hi @fresatomica, thanks for adding the site redirect. How do I go about cancelling it before the renewal in a year’s time?

• We don’t have renewal info for the redirect, so it will simply stop working unless you pay for it again. At that point if you’d like to make the old site private, you can.

• Hi @supernovia, I saw two registered domains in my ‘Domains’. So I thought maybe if i switch the primary domains around then one will disappear. However, now the old ‘techjio.home.blog’ is stuck as the Primary Domain and I cannot change it back.

I do have the Site Redirect added by @frestomica but I can’t seem to enable it.

Please help, thanks!

• You didn’t see two registered domains. You saw a domain upgrade and a site redirect upgrade.

The site redirect upgrade is still on your account, but it’s not appearing in the domain manager for your site on my end either, and I’m not able to set it as primary, so I’ve asked a developer to take a look at what’s going on.

Please don’t try making any further changes to the primary domain settings yourself.

• Hi @kokkieh, I see.. I was wondering if it was due to some glitch in the system. I think the primary domain is set back already, thanks again for the quick fix!

• The topic ‘My purchase domain cannot be set to primary’ is closed to new replies.