Multiple Sticky Posts on the Front Page

• I’m using the theme Twenty-Eleven and have a question that seems very basic, but after searching for over an hour, I couldn’t find an answer.

I’d like my site to show multiple sticky posts on the front page, just like the demo page for Twenty-Eleven at ” https://wordpress.com/theme/twentyeleven “.

Since the demo page shows multiple sticky posts, I’m hoping not to install more plug-ins. Currently, my site shows one sticky post at a time on the front page, and the user has to scroll through them, using dots in the upper-right. I’d rather show 2 or 3 sticky posts on the same page. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and my apologies if I missed something obvious.

Steven

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi Steven,

The problem is the posts per page setting. You should increase it to the number of sticky posts. You may change the posts per page limit at My Site(s) > Settings > Writing > Content types. The Content Types section of the Writing Settings support page includes an illustration that shows the blog posts per page setting. The number can be changed by simply clicking on the up/down arrows. When you’ve reached the desired number, save the change.

Note that this setting not only affects the blog page, but also all archives pages such as year, month, and date archives, category and tag archives, author archives, etc.

doc

• Sorry, please ignore the above suggestion. I’d assumed incorrectly that the front page was the blog page. That was before I noticed that your Blog page is elsewhere and it displays two sticky posts. That means the front page is a static page. I’ve got to do some investigation and testing and will get back to you.

• Actually both of the sticky posts are displayed on your front page, which evidently has the Showcase template assigned, it’s just that you have to use the toggle button to go from one to the other. That’s the way the theme has designed featured posts to display on a page with the Showcase template assigned. The Showcase page on the Twenty Eleven demo has the same setup, two featured (sticky) posts with two toggle buttons.

• Meant to say, “That’s the way the theme was designed to display featured posts on a page with the Showcase template assigned.”

• Currently, my site shows one sticky post at a time on the front page, and the user has to scroll through them, using dots in the upper-right. I’d rather show 2 or 3 sticky posts on the same page.

Oops, somehow I’d failed to read this in your OP previously. I don’t know if it’s possible to show multiple featured posts on the Showcase temple page. If so, then it will likely require CSS customization. I’ll call for staff attention. Staff will respond here.

• Thanks very much for all the suggestions!

Here’s an example from the Twenty-Eleven demo site that shows what’s I’d like.

https://twentyelevendemo.wordpress.com/

Thanks again,

Steven

• Steven,

You’re welcome, but I really complicated things by not reading your full post immediately. So on my third post I essentially repeated what you’d already said. Sorry. : -)

The example you point to from the Twenty Eleven demo is the blog page, not the Showcase page. That’s why it displays the posts without the toggle. Your site behaves the same as the demo, the only difference being that on the demo the front page is the blog page whereas on yours the front page has the Showcase template page. Compare the following pages:

Twenty Eleven demo:

Cycling Sights and Routes:

So you could reproduce the effect of the front page on the demo by displaying posts instead of a static page with the Showcase template assigned on the front page. Otherwise, if you want to keep a static front page with the Showcase template, I believe removing the toggle and displaying both featured posts on that page would require CSS customization.

Regarding sticky posts and the posts per page setting:
    I said above, “You should increase it to the number of sticky posts.” That’s not correct. Actually you should decrease the posts per page limit number by the number of sticky posts. Example: If your posts per page setting is X and you have 2 sticky posts, then the number of posts displayed on the blog page will be X +2. So let’s say you want to display 10 posts on the blog page. In that case, X + 2 = 10, so X = 8. Therefore you would set the posts per page limit at 8.

doc

• Hi Doc,

Thanks for the thorough analysis! Even though I can’t get quite what I want from the the standard showcase page, I appreciate all the time you spent looking into it. I’ll look over the options you mentioned and find the best fit.

Thanks again,

Steven

• Hi Steven,

You’re welcome! Good luck.

doc

• The topic ‘Multiple Sticky Posts on the Front Page’ is closed to new replies.