Move from self hosted to WordPress.com

• I am currently running a self-hosted blog (which is currently down). I would like to move it off of my servers and onto a paid WordPress.com account. I previously registered the domain name in my WordPress.com account years ago when I first started hosting my own WordPress blog. All of the documentation that I can find points me in the other direction. What should I do? If I change my dns name servers to WordPress.com does the system recognize that I want to start using it as a hosted solution? Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!

• A “paid” wordpress.COM account? Not sure what you mean. WordPress.COM is a free hosting service. What you pay for here are certain upgrades, including the ability to map your domain to your wordpress.COM blog.

Perhaps a little time in the FAQ will help. Just changing the DNS to wordpress.COM doesn’t do it.

• I have spent a good bit of time in the FAQ’s today before asking this question. WordPress.com thinks that my blog is hosted on my own server. I would like to start hosting it on WordPress.com’s servers instead of my own. How can I convince WordPress.com that my blog should be hosted on their servers instead of mine? That’s what I can’t figure out.

• You don’t need to convince or pay anyone, the service is free. And you already have a blog hosted at WordPress.com. If you want to map your current domain name to your WordPress.com blog, what you need is Domain Mapping.

Feel free to get in touch with support so that we can help you out on this.

• The topic ‘Move from self hosted to WordPress.com’ is closed to new replies.