Migrating to another host. Big Problems,

• I have a WordPress.com site, I have lots of problems trying to move to a new host, I have used “Moving to self hosted WordPress” as I need to arrange for web hosting I have tried many hosts. this is the answer I get, “Unfortunately, we can only migrate using site files and the database. While a migration using the provided XML file may be possible, it is not something we are knowledgeable about. this worries me as I don’t want to lose files, I have been told WordPress.com make it hard to move a site, can anyone help,

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

What host are you trying to move your site to? Once you install WordPress on your host, importing the XML file should not be an issue – you do not need to go through your database/cPanel for the import. You will to your wp-admin dashboard.

https://move.wordpress.com/exportimport-content/

Have you tried this step yet? Have you already installed the WordPress software?

Let us know, thanks!

• Switched from wordpress.com to self-hosted WordPress. I have exported a wordpress xml file from my their site at wordpress.com, but when I try to import it to the installation at their new host, I get this error: This does not appear to be a WXR file, missing/invalid WXR version number, I have moved domain to Siteground.com and set up WordPress.org. I could build a new site by copying and pasting all contents from wordpress.com but I would still have the old site contents left behind.

What do I do?

• One thing comes to mind about the export file. It’s usually a “zip” file. You might have done this already, but have you unzipped the file and tried to import the XML file(s) within?

• The topic ‘Migrating to another host. Big Problems,’ is closed to new replies.