Media Slug Not Changing

• I’m having issues with a media image slug that will not change.

I uploaded it as Anchorage.jpg but the slug is Anchorage-2.

I’ve cleared the browser cache, website cache, and verified there is no other image titled Anchorage.

It’s affecting the image being displayed on another page as well because the slug will not change.

I’m not sure what else to do. Any help is greatly appreciated.

WP.com: Yes
    Jetpack: No
    Correct account: No

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out with your question.

I understand you’re having issues with a media image slug that won’t change on your WordPress.org site, fernwehfilms.com. Here are a few steps you can try to resolve this issue:

Delete and Re-upload the Image:

• Delete the image from your media library.
      • Make sure to empty the trash in your media library.
      • Re-upload the image with the desired name. This often resolves slug conflicts.

Check the Database:

• Sometimes, image slugs can get stuck due to entries in the database. Using a plugin like phpMyAdmin or a database management tool provided by your host, you can search for and remove old entries for the image.

Use a Plugin:

• You can use a plugin like Media File Renamer, which allows you to rename media files and update their slugs easily. This can be helpful if the above steps don’t work.

Verify URL in Code:

• Ensure there are no hardcoded references to the old image URL in your theme files or plugins. You can use a plugin like Better Search Replace to search for the old slug in your database and replace it with the new one.

Since your site is a WordPress.org site, these steps should help. If you’re still experiencing issues, it might be beneficial to reach out to your hosting provider for additional support.

If you’re considering migrating to WordPress.com for more direct support and enhanced features, we currently offer a free migration service. You can request it here or reply to this message to get started. This way, we can give you direct support.

For a detailed comparison of the benefits between WordPress.com and WordPress.org, please check out our comparison guide.

If you need further assistance or have any other questions, feel free to ask. We’re here to help!

Reply to Media Slug Not Changing