Making parts of my theme wider

• Hi there,

I really like the look and feel of the Skeptical theme I’m running on my blog, but I find that I have far, far too much free space on my screen to either side of the content and toolbars. It’s great if I want to read on my iPod, but most of the content I deal with is better suited to viewing on a PC.

I’ve been trying to figure out how to widen the space where my actual content goes (the white column running down the very centre of my page with my actual words in it). There’s two thirds of the width of the screen available. Unfortunately, I can’t find the option to customize it; all it allows me to change are the widgets, the background, and the header image.

Is this something that I have to subscribe to premium for, or is it simply how the theme is and if I don’t like it I should look for another one?

Thanks!

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Is this something that I have to subscribe to premium for, or is it simply how the theme is and if I don’t like it I should look for another one?

Yes, this would require Custom CSS is available with the Premium or Business plans.

Skeptical is an older theme that’s not responsive, so it doesn’t adapt automatically to smaller screens like tablets or phones. You might want to consider a newer, responsive theme, that works well on screens of all sizes. (The reason you can read it OK on iPod now is that you’ve enabled the separate mobile theme, which has a different look and feel than Skeptical.) All themes made in the last several years are responsive. You can find them all here:

https://wordpress.com/themes/filter/responsive-layout/

• The topic ‘Making parts of my theme wider’ is closed to new replies.