Make some sidebar Pages linkless?

• Hi, I have a main question:

I’m using the Pages widget and was wondering if it’s possible to make some of the parent pages (e.g. Handspring Products) in the sidebar linkless, so only their child pages (Apples, Onions etc.) are clickable. Maybe Pages can’t do this, but Menus can?

2 other little questions:
    Current page font colour on Pages sidebar; possible?
    Getting rid of hover text on Pages sidebar; possible?

Thanks

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Your’ blog theme has bee CSS edited and I’m flagging this so it gets moved to the CSS Forum for you where you will receive answers to your questions. :)

• <del>Thread moved over to the CSS forum…</del>

I guess staff or another moderator moved the thread I need to refresh p[ages more often…

^SK

• @sl1k
    G’evening to you. :)

• @TT Good evening as well!!! =)

• Create a custom menu and use the custom menu widget.

http://en.support.wordpress.com/menus/
    http://en.support.wordpress.com/widgets/custom-menu-widget/

To create entries in the menu widget that do not link to anything, do the following.

1. Create a custom link for that item and put in the label and any URL at all (don’t worry about the URL, we will be deleting it in another step).

2. Add that custom menu item to the menu you created.

3. Click on the right end of that item in the custom menu so it opens for editing and delete the URL that you put in in step 1.

4. Repeat 1-3 above as necessary and when done, make sure and “save” your custom menu.

After your menu is done, go to appearance > widgets, add the custom menu widget and then from the pulldown in that widget select your custom menu and click save.

• Thanks, thesacredpath. I like the drag and drop feature (left and right) to make menus sub-menus.

My questions about current page font colour and scrapping menu hovertext… I guess this is a case of tweaking the right bits in the CSS Stylesheet Editor? Something like #nav ul li:hover and .nav ul li.current_page_item?

• Sorry, I forgot to respond to those, but I would have had to look at your site to figure them out. Now that you have the menu in there this would set a different color for the “current page” (the one that the person is on.

#nav_menu-3 .current-menu-item a {
    color: #FF0000;
    }

I would suggest that the text have some differentiating color or treatment when you hover over it to reinforce the fact that it is a link. You can so this with a complementary or contrasting color, or perhaps with an underline effect that only shows when someone moves their mouse over it. That would be done as below.

#nav_menu-3 ul li a:hover {
    color: navy;
    text-decoration: underline;
    }

The colors are completely arbitrary and you can change them as you see fit. If you use the hover color, remove the text decoration, or if you use the text decoration, remove the color.

• #nav_menu-3 targets the custom menu widget by ID number so only we are styling only the stuff in that particular widget.

• That’s great. Thank you. The current menu item bit works perfectly.

I’ve tried the nav_menu-3 ul li a:hover bit too… I guess because the blank custom links that I’ve used as titles in the menu are still technically ‘links’ they are always going to change colour when you hover, along with the other menu items(?)

I’ve switched general a:hover back on now. I had turned it off while I was playing around with things, but I think I agree with you that it’s clearer to have links tell you they are links when you hover.

• Ah yes, the linkless items would behave that way. This could be changed but it might be a little messy. I’ll have a look at it in a while for you.

• The topic ‘Make some sidebar Pages linkless?’ is closed to new replies.