Like button still doesn't work on comments on image attachment pages

• I previously reported this issue in a Feb. 2019 topic. The github issue (#31087) opened at that time evidently drew little attention, and was eventually closed without being resolved.

Example: Clicking the like button on this image attachment page on my primary site has no apparent effect. “Like” doesn’t change to “Liked,” and the Like isn’t recorded at the Comments page, or reflected in Notifications.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi @doc, I just liked that attachment page without issue using FF 92.0.1 (64-bit) on a Win10Pro PC (temp screenshot)

Do you maybe have an ad blocker active in your browser that could be interfering?

• Hello there,

Many thanks for reaching out.

I’ve spent some time troubleshooting this and it looks to be something of an intermittent fault.

I am unable to replicate this on a test site, but it is replicable on your site.

It’s possible this is a theme bug, which is unlikely to see a fix as the theme is now retired.

https://wordpress.com/theme/koi/

• @justjennifer,

Hi! Thanks for your testing and the suggestion. I’ve got a couple of adblockers, but they’re disabled on the site. Here’s two more recent examples with comments that I can’t Like: 1, 2. I haven’t tried another browser yet recently, can’t remember if I did two years ago, and it’s early morning here (haven’t slept), so I’ll try that after a bit o’ shut-eye.

Hey there, @aleone89 ~ Thanks for the info! I’ll let you know if I find a fix.

Much obliged to both of you : )

• Good night, doc.

My bad. I now see that you are referring to adding a Like to the comment on that page, not the attachment page itself. If that is the case, then I can confirm that I cannot Like the comment.

I can click the star, it turns color, but no change in text from Like to Liked and if I refresh the page, the color of the star resets to the “neutral” state.

Time for more coffee methinks. :)

• No worries : ) Thanks for the update, and the tip about the star changing color. I knew that it changed when I hovered over it, but hadn’t noticed that it stays changed when clicked, until the page is reloaded.

• Hey doc – just a quick question. Do you have any Attachment pages on your site where a comment on an Attachment page was successfully Liked? In other words, did this reflect a change you noticed?

The reason I ask is that I spent some time since my previous post with various themes (Twenty-Twelve, Twenty Twenty-One, Coraline and now Spearhead) and posts (using both Classic Editor, not Classic Block, and Block Editor) with images linked to image Attachment pages and in no case was I able to Like a comment left on an Attachment page. I used my test account logged in from a different browser to comment and this account to try and Like the comment. FWIW the Comment Like option, although enabled for Media, does not display in the image Carousel.

[Aside: After spending time with them again (thank you for the push), Attachment pages still seem to be the hot mess I remember them being. 😁]

• Hey Jen,

Do you have any Attachment pages on your site where a comment on an Attachment page was successfully Liked?

On my primary site, I don’t think so, although I haven’t checked all of the comment pages. On the most recent 15 comment pages (300 comments) I found 24 image attachment pages with at least one comment. In each case, there are no previously Liked comments, and I can Like the image, but not the comment. So the results the same as previously reported in this topic.

I spent some time since my previous post with various themes…and in no case was I able to Like a comment left on an Attachment page.

Prompted by your message I did some testing on four other old sites of mine. The themes applied, including Koi (also on my primary site), Black Letter-head, and Spring Loaded) are all retired, and I made sure that comment Likes were on for all posts at Marketing > Sharing Buttons. They hadn’t been on in a couple of cases.

On two of the four I obtained exactly the same results as on the primary site. On one I had the odd result of having the Like button display on an image attachment page comment, but not on the image itself. None of the sharing buttons showed on any image in an attachment page. Checked all the settings, and tried with Google Chrome as well. All the other testing was done with FF 92.0.1.

The result on the fourth was therefore unexpected. I’d swear that I was able to Like a comment on an image attachment page here, even though it has the same theme (Koi) as primary site and one of the other three tested. I Like it, and then undid the Like. However, I’m doubting my memory now, because when I went back an hour later to test again I could not Like the same comment.

I used my test account logged in from a different browser to comment and this account to try and Like the comment. FWIW the Comment Like option, although enabled for Media, does not display in the image Carousel.

Hmm. Which browser did you get the failures on? I didn’t encounter that issue, although I only tested one site on an alternate browser (Chrome). In each test on the five different sites, three different themes, the comment Like button appeared.

• None of the sharing buttons showed on any image in an attachment page.
    I didn’t make it clear that I was referring here to the single site where the Like button didn’t appear for the attachment page itself, in every instance, but Comment Like button appeared on the same attachment page, in each case.

• In other words, did this reflect a change you noticed?

I forgot to address this question. As I mentioned in the OP, I’d reported it in February 2019. The 15 latest pages of comments took me back to mid-2018. So, it seems to have been behaving this way since then. However, I’ve I’ve no idea when the issue began, and I’ve habitually paid little attention to it since my first report.

• Hi again,

Which browser did you get the failures on?

All tests were done with FF 92.0.1 (64-bit) and Brave V1.30.86 Chromium: 94.0.4606.61 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Although enabled in Marketing>Sharing settings, the option to Like a comment did not appear in the Image Carousel but did appear on the Attachment page when the Image Carousel was turned off. This was also true when “Sharing Buttons” were enabled. They do not show in the image Carousel. This might be a bug, so I’ve reported it. 

Thanks to this testing, I also reported a problem with the way the image Carousel handles comments on images where media-specific commenting is disallowed when the “Show  comments area in Carousel” is enabled in Settings>Media.

Back to Attachment pages: I tried to Like the comment left on an image Attachment page in the notification area in the Admin bar, but it didn’t “stick” if I refreshed that area. I received the same result if I Liked the comment in the Comment dashboard of the site.

I purposely tested newer themes to establish this isn’t an issue with themes, but with Attachment pages, which it seems all the above points to. My 2¢/ I also feel that this is might not get dev time as that depends on the number of users reporting the issue.

when I went back an hour later to test again I could not Like the same comment

This might be a preventive measure, but I do not know that for certain.

That’s really about all I’ve got here.

• Sorry, this

the option to Like a comment did not appear in the Image Carousel

should have read “the option to like an image did not appear in the image Carousel…”

• Hi,

Thanks for the update and for reporting the possible bug, and the other problem. I haven’t modified the image carousel setting on any of the test sites, nor have I looked in the carousel for Like buttons, so I’ll trust your results on that. : )

I tried to Like the comment left on an image Attachment page in the notification area in the Admin bar, but it didn’t “stick” if I refreshed that area.

Good idea — I hadn’t thought of it. My results on that were interesting. Not only does it not stick if I refresh, but each time I click the Like button, “Liked” reverts back to “Like” in about 10 seconds, while I watch and touch nothing.

This might be a preventive measure…
    Perhaps. The one successful Like that I thought I’d had might have been on an attachment page Like button. I was testing both buttons in most cases.

My 2¢/ I also feel that this is might not get dev time as that depends on the number of users reporting the issue.

Yeah, agreed. : )

• They do not show in the image Carousel.

By Image Carousel I presume you’re referring to an image gallery carousel. If so, then I didn’t even know commenting was an option there. I see it now, thanks, but in various galleries on two sites I found no option (FF and Chrome) to Like a comment on an image in the carousel.

• The topic ‘Like button still doesn't work on comments on image attachment pages’ is closed to new replies.