Latest Posts Block-Excerpt Display Discrepancy

• Howdy, while adding the Latest Posts block https://wordpress.com/support/wordpress-editor/blocks/latest-posts-block/ to a page, I noted there is a discrepancy between the wording and placement of the “Read More/Continue Reading” link when displaying a short excerpt of the post.

In the Editor, a link to “Read More” is displayed and it immediately follows the excerpt and is very clearly a part of that excerpt. However, when previewing or after publishing the page where the block appears, the ellipsis at the end of the excerpt disappears and “Read More” becomes “Continue Reading” and is spaced somewhat vaguely between the post excerpts.

(temporary screenshots)

Thanks for looking.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there!

I think that what happens here is that the final wording will depend on the theme. On my test site, with some themes I don’t see Continue Reading at all, just the title of the post is clickable.

This happens on both Latest Post Block and on Blog Posts Block. They will display Read More in the editor to give you an idea about how it works, but it will depend on the theme how the final page will look like.

• Hello again, I’ve only tested this on 3 other themes besides Hever: Mayland, Rivington and Balasana, all with excerpts and they all display like Hever.

I’ve uploaded the additional screenshots to the folder above.

Even if the wording for “Continue Reading” is different between Editor and Post or Page (which IMO if this is a WYSIWYG Editor it shouldn’t be), IMO the position should be closer to the excerpt it refers to rather than hanging between them.

I hesitate to ask about changing this via Custom CSS because I feel it should be a global change rather than applied to a single site.

• Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for finding this! I have already reported it to our developers.

• Thank you @fstat. I’ll follow along on github.

Is it possible to include the issue of the positioning of the words to be more consistent?

I’ve looked at some older themes as well, ones that can be previewed in the Customizer, and there the wording discrepancy is the same (so far) and in some cases the positioning of the link to “continue reading” in relation to the excerpt is even odder. If I have time (in short supply right now) I’ll upload additional screenshots to cloudup.

Thanks again.

• Thanks, screenshots would be awesome! I wonder if it has something to do with the themes shuffling responsive elements, since expanding the Customizer does affect the width.

• @fstat – So not so much traction on this in the github repo. No other reports of this anywhere else?

• justjennifer – I’m not finding any other reports elsewhere but will check with the team to make sure I didn’t miss it somewhere.

• Thanks, @staff-zinnia -I saw your reply via email. :/

• The topic ‘Latest Posts Block-Excerpt Display Discrepancy’ is closed to new replies.