Jetpack is Confused

• Yesterday, I moved my website from wordpress.com to a self-hosted website with Hostinger. My domain, jonathanwylie.com, is with Hover. I changed the nameservers with Hover to point to Hostinger. All went well until I installed Jetpack on the new self-hosted website. I started to see this error:

“You can’t get there from here (site_id mismatch error).

This happens when an external blog (a self-hosted blog using the Jetpack plugin) is pointed to WordPress.com by DNS.

If you are trying to migrate away from WordPress.com, please update your DNS to point the domain to your own server.

Otherwise please contact WordPress.com support and explain what you were trying to do, what steps you took, what you expected to happen, and what actually happened.”

I have removed jonathanwylie.com from my wordpress.com plan so that it should be jonathanwylie.wordpress.com instead.

For some reason, I see the error on some devices/browsers and not others. For instance, I see it when navigating to jonathanwylie.com on Safari on my iPad, iPhone and my wife’s Mac using Chrome. However, Firefox on my Mac seems to work, and we have a Samsung laptop that seems to work with Brave.

I also have seen the error when trying to access the WP Admin page on my wordpress.com account, but also when trying to view jonathanwylie.com on some devices and sometimes when trying to access the WP Admin page on my self-hosted site.

Not sure where to go with this one. The error message said to contact wordpress.com, which I did, but posting here too in case anyone has any ideas.

The blog I need help with is: (visible only to logged in users)

• Hi there,

I’ve tagged your post so staff members can see it. Kindly wait until a staff member will get in touch with you. I am a volunteer here.

Meanwhile, I have checked jonathanwylie.com with the Jetpack debugger and I could see no errors:

Debug

Cheers!

• @jonathanwylie – I’m not showing that the domain jonathanwylie.com is registered with Automattic.

I have removed jonathanwylie.com from my wordpress.com plan so that it should be jonathanwylie.wordpress.com instead.

This was likely the issue here. Since Jetpack requires a WordPress.com account to be fully activated, having two sites with the same URL probably caused confusion.

As @anastas10s indicated, your new Jetpack site is properly connected to your WordPress account now, so you should be all set.

If you still have trouble, please contact Jetpack Support about this via https://jetpack.com/contact-support/?rel=support if you have a paid plan, or https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/jetpack/ if you do not.

Thanks!

• Well, I am still having the problem, so I guess I will have to try Jetpack support. The two sites never had the same URL in Jetpack, or at least not to my knowledge. I guess there could have been some delay in syncing but I removed the domain from wordpress.com before installing Jetpack on my hosted site.

The weird thing is, the problem comes and goes. Sometimes I think it is fixed, then it is not. Mostly it is not. Sigh.

• Reach out to Jetpack. Just as well, when adjusting nameservers it can take between 24 and 72 hours for those changes to fully resolve. When expecting something to resolve sooner this can be quite frustrating. I recommend not changing too many variables at once while the nameservers resolve.

If you would like to check on the status of the nameserver change, try this site (which we use often): https://www.whatsmydns.net/

Enter the URL there and set to NS before searching.

• The topic ‘Jetpack is Confused’ is closed to new replies.